Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Next 30 Years
I haven't made any purchases yet but my current plan is to allocate each $5,500 a year to a single purchase ... existing or new

Gotcha. I was thinking the same. Or splitting between 2 per year.
Love the picks of JNJ and GILD in the pharma sector, two of my largest positions.

I like and own CVS too, but not a buyer at the current level.
Alright folks, I've committed the cash. I spent a *lot* of time this weekend deciding which positions and how many to have. At times I had 3 different wishlists going on, each varying in size between 14 and 46 positions.

In the end I think I went a pretty conservative route, very blue-chippy. I left out a lot of companies that I love but in the end I wanted more cash committed to the pillars of DGI so I could really hitch a ride on the compounding nature of these historical companies. I'll be full DRIP so hopefully there's enough juice left in these companies to compound 10X in the next 30 years or so.

There are 20 positions. Each position has 4.9% weighting except for one which has 6.4% weight, take a guess at which one if you so desire.

For better or worse:

CL
CLX
DCI
GILD
GIS
JNJ
KMI
KO
MMM
MON
MSFT
O
PEP
PG
PM
SBUX
TROW
WEC
WFC
XOM

Maybe a few surprises, but I'm pretty sure they'll all be around in 30 years.

I think you did well, rapidacid. Very nice portfolio. Some are expensive and some are fairly valued but as you said, you have 30 years to watch it. None of the valuations right now are grossly out of line and you should be very happy down the road.

Are you planning to add to this or is this in a separate account that precludes adding?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Thanks DW. I'm happy-ish with it. This is a Roth IRA, separate from my larger taxable account. I'll be adding $5,500 / yr to it and intend to use that new cash for one large purchase. All positions will be fully DRIPped.

Thats a really nice mix of stocks, rapid. Definitely a good starting point for new investors.