Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OUT of the US for a while
How frustrating

The £ isn't set to recover against the $ until Q2/Q3. This puts me out of buying anything on the US stock exchange for a while. (Unless there's something super compelling)

The £ $ exchange at the moment makes it impossible for me to buy.

Looks like I'll be lingering around the LSE and European markets for a while (which I feel are overflated at the moment with QE pushing up prices).

As a young investor I hate holding cash!
What about BP or BBL? They're both yielding around 6% right now

I already own BP
BBL don't really want to buy as I'm overweight oil.

I really really like JNJ at present. Damn the American economy for racing ahead of us here in Britain Wink

VERY tempted by Associated British Foods at this level. It has a high p/e but also is growing rapidly. This would be my first buy where a p/e is above 18ish
I have a similar issue due to being in canada. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the additional cost due to forex -- wouldn't that be similar to buying a stock that costs say 40 dollars vs one that costs 50 dollars provided that you aren't buying and selling on a monthly basis.

Also over the duration of your accumulation phase wouldn't you be averaging down on the forex difference?

waiting for the USD to come down is gonna be a while.

(03-26-2015, 12:19 PM)Lewys120 Wrote: I already own BP
BBL don't really want to buy as I'm overweight oil.

I really really like JNJ at present. Damn the American economy for racing ahead of us here in Britain Wink

VERY tempted by Associated British Foods at this level. It has a high p/e but also is growing rapidly. This would be my first buy where a p/e is above 18ish
Hi Russell,

I have been buying as early as December in the US when the exchange was weak and used the logic that I'd be averaging down at a later date.

But, I feel that the current exchange level is so unfavorable that I'm unable to buy at value.
hah. at least a pound is still worth more than the dollar. Imagine how some of the other folks feel.

But it's up to you. Depending on the amount you are investing, i'm not sure what the difference will be over the course of 20+ years.
I don't look so much to the past as I look to the future. Yeah a while ago you could get about 1.35 USD with 1 euro. And now it's about 1.09. But I still change euros to dollars and invest in the USA. Why? Because I believe that in the future we are going to move closer and closer to parity. And even if we don't, the US economy is certainly doing better than the European one so I'm much more inclined to invest there.

Yes, it hurts everytime I execute that currency trade. But at the moment I still think it's the best choice.
Hi Lewys120, am from the UK also and have similar issue. The £ is buying a lot less $ than it was a few months ago! I guess if you're in accumulation phase then the Currency swings will average out over time though we do seem to be at the lower end of the historical average.
(04-01-2015, 05:15 AM)DividendsandTea Wrote: Hi Lewys120, am from the UK also and have similar issue. The £ is buying a lot less $ than it was a few months ago! I guess if you're in accumulation phase then the Currency swings will average out over time though we do seem to be at the lower end of the historical average.

What UK/EU stocks do you hold?
(04-02-2015, 08:44 AM)Lewys120 Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 05:15 AM)DividendsandTea Wrote: Hi Lewys120, am from the UK also and have similar issue. The £ is buying a lot less $ than it was a few months ago! I guess if you're in accumulation phase then the Currency swings will average out over time though we do seem to be at the lower end of the historical average.

What UK/EU stocks do you hold?

Currently have...
UK Stocks are: BLT, RDS.B, BP, & ULVR
US Stocks are: DIS, V, BRK.B, PG & AAPL

Looking to increase my UK holdings due to weighting and current exchange rate, considering NXT, GSK, BA.L & SKY at the mo. What UK stocks do you have on your shortlist?
OWN: GSK, BP, ULVR, LLOY

Watch: NXT, ABF, NG.L, SKY, BT, MKS
Regular hours for the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) are Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST. However, the stock market observes U.S. holidays, so below you will find the NYSE holidays for 2015 and 2016.
Stock Market Holidays