Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russellhantz' haymaker
I posted this in my "converting to US" thread because I was asked but I figured I'd post this here as well. Looking forward to going through all your portfolio's and seeing what I can glean. Any comments would be great.

My current portfolio:

2000 in each:
RY.TO - Bank
BNS.TO - Bank
BMO.TO - Bank
CM.TO - Bank
CU.TO - Util
FTS.TO - Util
ENB.TO - Energy
RCI.B - Telecom
BCE.TO - Telecom
TRP.TO - Industrial
CNR.TO - Railroad
REF.UN - Reit

9000 - VUN - US etf
9000 - XEF - INTL etf
Good lord, man! No consumer staples?!?!

(Sorry. Sorry. Just sometimes seems like DG is built on a foundation of consumer staples....)
LOL. i know this is my glaring weakness. That's why I started the other thread of converting CAD to USD so I can get into consumer staples. Canada has some ok ones but I want to grab some US ones first.

By the tone it sounds like I better get on this...
So 1/3 of your direct investments are in banks. On top of that, I'm sure those ETFs bring a decent deal of financial investments too. And yes looks like consumer staples are missing and I would also look into grabbing some more industrials. Even TRP looks more like an utility than an industrial stock.

Maybe the overweight in finances is intentional but I would be careful. Especially since they are Canadian banks and the oil industry, which probably has billions in loans from these banks, could run into trouble with paying back what they owe if the crude prices stay low.
Check out MG.TO

Board member Roadmap2Retire brought it up a couple months ago as a recent purchase and I intend to initiate a position "soon". The numbers crush:

[Image: CKHOAWw.png]
Nor healthcare. I would prefer JNJ, ABBV, AMGN & GILD in the drugs and MDT & BDX for devices right now. Might consider BAX but the results of their upcoming split in 2015 are still a little murky.

Since you're so young, I'd be more inclined to look at an older drug, which of course from it's record and stats, would be JNJ and 1 bio company. AMGN & GILD are both reasonable right now. GILD will be initiating a dividend this summer if they stick to the plan.

Because of the exchange rate volatility, I'd layer in over several years. It can be quite disconcerting to watch your portfolio value and dividend stream to swing all over the place.

In the consumer staples, you might also consider ULVR and does Nestle trade on the LSE? Don't know about your tax treaties between Canada & the UK either.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Hi I acknowledge that i'm way too heavily weighted in financials and part of this is due to starting the portfolio about a month ago when Canadian banks started going on sale. I've chosen to go with 2000 dollar chunks because that seemed like a comfortable portion for me due to how much I save a month (1000 - 1500).

Thanks for your input guys, I think for the next year i'm going to trim out some financials and put everything new into Consumer staples, Healthcare and Industrial. Appreciate the input.
Thanks for the mention, rapid.

Magna is a great international company and is a great investment. Its severely undervalued - which I think is because of the international operations, exposure to the EU market and the fact that they report their financials in US$. But still...for the long run, its great to invest and would be a good idea to average in. They just announced a dividend raise and a stock split earlier this month.

Another company that fits this bill in my portfolio is Agrium (AGU) - again, international operations (most of which are in US), financials are in US$.

cheers
R2R
Have you tried looking at P&G or ULVR?

JNJ is a good call for healthcare at current levels (although the $ is too strong vs the £ for me to invest there at the moment) I also hold GSK which I'm a big fan of.

I'm a newbie to investing so be happy to correct me on anything I ever say Wink
Welcome to the forum.
(03-14-2015, 08:57 PM)Kerim Wrote: Good lord, man! No consumer staples?!?!

(Sorry. Sorry. Just sometimes seems like DG is built on a foundation of consumer staples....)

I don't have much in consumer staples either. Nothing against them except the valuation.

Agree that the pharma sector has some attractive stocks, in particular I'm overweight GILD and JNJ, and they're still perfectly buyable. The latter serves as my partial consumer staple (as well as a speculative position in TIS).