Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting CAD to US
I don't think you'd be wrong with either decision, especially with free transactions. It'd just be a personal preference.

When just getting your portfolio and dividends rolling I would try to start pushing the snowball down the hill as soon as possible. By this I mean putting 2K into DIS which yields only 1.1% you're only going to collect $22 once a year ( DIS only distributes their div once a year, not quarterly )

With $6K all in KO, which yields 3.3%, you're going to receive $49.5 every quarter to then reinvest. With KO currently at ~$40 you'd buy 150 shares, and if you DRIP you'd have about 155 shares by this time next year. With DIS you'd just have $22 in your account in December when DIS pays out. With KO paying out $1.32 / div / share those additional 5 shares of KO you automatically picked up would be paying out 30% of what your whole DIS distributes.

I think DIS is a great company right now and I do own it, but for just starting out a dividend paying portfolio I'd personally rather be collecting more cash monthly / quarterly / yearly.
Keep in mind that "free transactions" usually means you are paying a bid/ask spread of 0.5-2%.
In reality it isn't a "free transaction", they just charge your fee from higher spread instead.