Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Search engines and this website
Why when I search for "dividend growth forum" does this website not make the first page?! Do search engines not like this website?
Huh
There's lots of things that go into moving up your page rank in the search engines and their algorithms change often to beat the people gaming the system ... or as they say it ... to optimize their search results:
  • Keywords in the page headers found by the bots
  • Advertising that is redirected from it (thank gawd there's none of that here)
  • External links to the site
  • Hits to the site from search results
  • Paid-for search ranks
to name a few reasons.

Since Kerim has built this place all on his own, I don't think he's gone into any serious marketing of it; instead relying on word of mouth or people stumbling to it. It's a pretty easy name to remember to type in -- dividendgrowthforum.com -- or you can bookmark it. Undecided Also, invite a friend. It's always nice to have new contributors.

And thanks again, Kerim. Nice place to have an informal place to chat about this stuff.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

I do have this website bookmarked, but I was randomly trying to find it from a different device and was puzzled when I used a search engine to find it and came up empty.
I've almost given up trying to understand how Google works. Their "Webmaster Tools" indicates that the average ranking for this site for the search term "dividend growth forum" is 1.0.

But when I search for the term myself, I don't rank in the first five pages even. And it sounds like your experience is similar. Would love if folks would do a quick experiment and type "dividend growth forum" into google and let me know if this site shows up on page one of results.

(Keep in mind that unless you turn it off, Google does a lot of personalization of results, so there is no reason to expect we'd all get the same search results for the same term.)
With Google it was the first result. Bing wasn't even on the first page.
First thing that came up for me also. Lookin good.
Okay, I tried Yahoo, Bing and Google, Dividend Growth Forum came up as #1 on Yahoo and Google, Bing had it on the first page.