Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would Lombardi say?
....a message to those new to DGI....

....a message to those feeling the pressure of falling markets....

Let me start with something from Vince Lombardi, "Mental toughness is many things and rather difficult to explain. It's qualities are sacrifice and self-denial. Also, most importantly, it is combined with a perfectly disciplined will that refuses to give in. It’s a state of mind – you could call it character in action.”

Next, even though investing Guru Jack Bogle advocates that you only look at your portfolio statements once a year, let me suggest that whenever you "fear" what might be(!!) happening right now, you go to your brokerage and pull up your "Dividends and Interest-Received" statement.  Consider those payments "digital prozac".

And finally, let me leave you with this chart(1900-present).  Please pay attention to the slope:

See that dip in 2008-2009?  If you owned Dividend Champion stocks that did not cut their dividends, you continued to get paid, you might have reinvested those dividends at very low prices, and today you are way ahead.  Retired?  Your portfolio "value" may have fallen, yet you still got paid.

Stay the course.  If you have chosen well, especially from the C-C-C list maintained by David Fish (Excel Spreadsheet) you will succeed.

This too shall pass...like a kidney stone....but it shall pass   Big Grin

http://www.dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp
There are people who use up their entire lives making money so they can enjoy the lives they have entirely used up
Frederick Buechner
Imagine, instead of 50 stocks, you own 5 rental houses. Do you check the possible sale value of these houses every day? Do you particularly care what the value of any house is at any time other than when you want to sell? No, you care if your monthly income (rent) is more than your monthly expenses (taxes/repairs/insurance/mortgage). Honestly, most of the time you want the value of your houses to no increase so your taxes and insurance don't go up. If general house prices drop, but rent stays flat (or increases), you would actually be tempted to buy a 6th house.
I do the Ostrich Method, put my head in the sand!!
The long term trend I like to monitor is Dividend Growth % and Increases. Monthly as I record the dividends received I compare them to previous years and they continue to be higher than previous years. So I ignore the price drops and wish I had additional funds to invest.