Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dividend Growth Portfolio - Objective: Retire by 50
I have available cash flow to go shopping but my "watch list" is currently huge and overcomplicated. And I can also grow some of my existing positions, so many options...

How do you decide on what to buy when such good dilemas come along? Off course you want to look for the best value out there with the best growth opportunities but that's easier said than done.
I sort by 52-week range a lot, looking at what is out of fashion at the moment. On the low side of the 52 week range implies higher dividend yield, lower P/E ratio .... better value

[Image: sanXFeX.png]

I actually have such a view! Big Grin

But it still makes choosing hard. I wanted to buy technology, consumer discr. and materials which I'm currently missing in my portfolio.
Yay stockrover!

Great list to choose from there ... for your needed sectors I think QCOM + DOW have nice value here and MCD hasn't been destroyed nearly as much as it could've given the constant year of bad news ...

I know they're not on your list but take a look at AGU and ARLP for basic materials

I'm happy I waited, it's nice sitting on a beach while I watch the market plummet. I didn't bring my computer this week which was a great decision and I don't like inserting buy orders on my phone. Glad it worked for the best, but my shopping list is getting bigger. I'm getting itchy to buy Apple (may have missed the best entry point, let's see), Disney, Altria, Aflac, UNP and strength my position in energy.
As a junior investor, what did I learn from the most recent sell-off:

1) I read no one could time the market, but I still believed it was possible... I failed... miserably!
2) I was betting on a long correction and the start of a long bearish feeling, Mr Market fooled me well.
3) Always have money available and ready to deploy in your broker account, having to wait 3 days for the money to land was rather painful.
4) Always have GTC for your most desired positions. If you are not checking the market every minute, it'll do the work for you. Having a GTC for Apple at $99 and Altria bellow $50, etc would have made me very happy.
5) Your phone is your friend, just use it.

I missed amazing entry points because of all the above. I hope to have learned my lessons and be ready next time around!
All good, valid points rasec. Taking these lessons and actually applying them is the hard part.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Rasec, you're going to do very well for yourself. Don't forget, the next time the market dips it will probably not be the same scenario.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(08-29-2015, 05:42 AM)Rasec Wrote: As a junior investor, what did I learn from the most recent sell-off:

3) Always have money available and ready to deploy in your broker account, having to wait 3 days for the money to land was rather painful.

Having a margin account really helps with this. No need to make sure you have cash at the brokerage account as long as you have cash somewhere. You can just use the margin and send money to the broker afterwards to fund the account back to normal.
(08-29-2015, 10:20 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(08-29-2015, 05:42 AM)Rasec Wrote: As a junior investor, what did I learn from the most recent sell-off:

Having a margin account really helps with this. No need to make sure you have cash at the brokerage account as long as you have cash somewhere. You can just use the margin and send money to the broker afterwards to fund the account back to normal.

I use E*Trade. I do a direct transfer from my checking account to my ROTH and the money is available to invest instantly. Margin accounts are not allowed in retirement accounts (per E*Trade). You might want to look into tying your checking account to your brokerage account. This will get rid of the 3 day waiting period.
I wasn't aware of margin accounts, I just checked and Vanguard does offer that option. I need to investigate further. Thanks for the tip!
(08-31-2015, 05:20 PM)Rasec Wrote: I wasn't aware of margin accounts, I just checked and Vanguard does offer that option. I need to investigate further. Thanks for the tip!

If you use Vanguard, you can simply link an account (checking or savings) and transfer the money to Vanguard. When I transfer money, before I can click back to "Balances and Holdings" in my Brokerage account, the money is available to use for trading. You will have to wait a few days if you want to withdraw it.
Margin Accounts must be popular. A lot of people go broke using them.