Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(08-27-2024, 11:17 AM)MrFortune Wrote: I'm thinking of dumping AMZN after 21 years of holding it an average price of $2.80

It has done nothing in 5 years while the rest of the tech names are hitting new highs.
It has basically matched the S&P 500 for the last 5 years at around 90% growth.  While you could have done better with your money elsewhere over these last 5 years, I don't think that's the makeup of a problem child.  Here's worse:
DIS - Down 32%
PFE - Down 11%
VZ - Down 27%
T - Down 25%
SBUX - Up just 2%
WEC - Down 2%
XEL - Down 4%
But yeah, if you have a ton of it, by all means distribute some to better names.
My stock buying rules are pretty simple:
Growth - has to have beat the S&P 500 over the last 5 years, so for right now, that would be about 100% growth
Income - has to beat bank interest with relatively stable share price, so for right now, that would be 5%+ yield
There's a hypothetical grey area for something with around say 50% growth over the past 5 years and a 4% yield, but I haven't found one like that.
Who’s buying DG or DLTR this morning. Wow they are down big. Anyone own them?

I added a few JNJ, PAYX and COST yesterday with dividends
I almost reached into my Cash Reserve to dive back into SMCI yesterday, but held off. Mainly because I don't want to invoke the Wash Sale rule, and also because I need a healthy cash pile right now.
(08-29-2024, 09:11 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I almost reached into my Cash Reserve to dive back into SMCI yesterday, but held off.  Mainly because I don't want to invoke the Wash Sale rule, and also because I need a healthy cash pile right now.

You do know SMCI cooked the books right?  That’s a stock you don’t touch. Mine as well just own AVGO or NVDA
Sold out of SMCI and opened a new position in APP.

SMCI had disappointing earnings this quarter, just delayed filing its 10-K, and is accused by Hindenburg of cooking the books.

Moving on to something new with a ~10% loss.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(08-29-2024, 09:55 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 09:11 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I almost reached into my Cash Reserve to dive back into SMCI yesterday, but held off.  Mainly because I don't want to invoke the Wash Sale rule, and also because I need a healthy cash pile right now.

You do know SMCI cooked the books right?  That’s a stock you don’t touch. Mine as well just own AVGO or NVDA

I appreciate your talking sense into me! Smile

Of course, one could argue that the accusations come from a short seller, and there may be less ominous reasons for the delayed filing.
(08-29-2024, 11:01 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 09:55 AM)stockguru Wrote:

I appreciate your talking sense into me! Smile

Of course, one could argue that the accusations come from a short seller, and there may be less ominous reasons for the delayed filing.

You could argue that but you would be wrong.  Company covered it up, which is why they are delaying. And if the company wasn’t guilty they would have come out defended themselves. Wink

Another pump and dump name. There will be more companies under scrutiny soon.  This was a $1200 stock and now they want to do a 10-1 stock split. Fire the CEO

Be careful what you invest in and do your homework on SMCI - Super Micro Computer has faced challenges in the past, including a delisting from Nasdaq in 2018 due to the non-filing of financial statements. Wink
Yup no reason to hold SMCI any longer. I got caught up in the hype as well and had no idea they were delisted in 2018 for same reason. Not good. I hade to cut my losses as well today. This thing can easily see $100 or lower once the truth comes out. Once that piece came out yesterday they immediately delayed there filings but didn't defend their company .

You live and learn. Thank God I only had 15 shares but it was still a substantial loss for me. I know others on here bought at 1000 + a shares

Its stocks like SMCI that makes you think is investing in stocks the right thing these days? Market is so pumped and over valued but we all get caught up in the game thinking we cant lose lol

I have to say I got a bit smarter and only hold 16 names these days and most are defensive. My holdings are JNJ, ABBV, LMT, AFL, ORI, COST, PM, META, SHW, RTX with AVGO, BLK, TPL, AMZN, BSX and CHKP

I also own 10 ETf's and some bond funds

I owned 20 names but sold SMCI, PLTR, BAC and ARW
(08-24-2024, 05:00 AM)rayray Wrote:
(08-20-2024, 06:30 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 10:18 PM)rayray Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 06:11 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-18-2024, 08:39 PM)rayray Wrote: Cape Cod?

Funny, I was just looking at Cape Cod real estate today lol.

Oh cool, future neighbor!

The problem is, both my girlfriend and I work in the same office park in Waltham, and it's too far to commute from the Cape.  We only need to be in the office Tuesday through Thursday, so she's thinking she could make use of a Cape Cod place right now Friday through Monday, and then go back to her existing place for midweek.  I still have my daughter at home attending school, plus I like to go into the office on Mondays as well and often on Fridays too.  It will be easiest for me to go live on the Cape once I'm retired ... except having a second house adds a lot to my retirement budget, making it harder to accomplish that.

I'm looking for alterntives rather than hot and humid southern states.

I lived in Texas, I can't take the humidity, it's a killer--Florida, Georgia, the Carolina's....all humid.

The woman that owns the pet food supply shop I go to, her and her partner own a house in Cape Cod.

I was surprised, it seems somewhat reasonable.

I don't think you're escaping humidity in Massachusetts...

But yes, the average house on the Cape isn't any more expensive than the rest of the state.  It just has a lot of enormous mansions & estates here & there for the fabulously wealthy to play in.

Buddy, you never lived in Houston, Texas! Now that's humidity, you'll want to rip your skin off in August.

Texas Hill Country has pretty nice weather
(08-29-2024, 04:34 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(08-24-2024, 05:00 AM)rayray Wrote:
(08-20-2024, 06:30 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 10:18 PM)rayray Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 06:11 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Oh cool, future neighbor!

The problem is, both my girlfriend and I work in the same office park in Waltham, and it's too far to commute from the Cape.  We only need to be in the office Tuesday through Thursday, so she's thinking she could make use of a Cape Cod place right now Friday through Monday, and then go back to her existing place for midweek.  I still have my daughter at home attending school, plus I like to go into the office on Mondays as well and often on Fridays too.  It will be easiest for me to go live on the Cape once I'm retired ... except having a second house adds a lot to my retirement budget, making it harder to accomplish that.

I'm looking for alterntives rather than hot and humid southern states.

I lived in Texas, I can't take the humidity, it's a killer--Florida, Georgia, the Carolina's....all humid.

The woman that owns the pet food supply shop I go to, her and her partner own a house in Cape Cod.

I was surprised, it seems somewhat reasonable.

I don't think you're escaping humidity in Massachusetts...

But yes, the average house on the Cape isn't any more expensive than the rest of the state.  It just has a lot of enormous mansions & estates here & there for the fabulously wealthy to play in.

Buddy, you never lived in Houston, Texas! Now that's humidity, you'll want to rip your skin off in August.

Texas Hill Country has pretty nice weather

Yes, Texas Hill Country is very nice, I lived inbetween Austin and San Antonio (closer to Austin) many years ago.

Texas has some of the best Bar B Que out there imho. We use to drive out to Luling, Tx just for the Bar B Q! First time we went out there we didn't know we had to bring our own utencils lol. It's since changed, plastic utencils now available.

College Station is also very nice if one likes that Middle of America vibe. Very nice and very clean.
Trimmed TPL ELV BX

Added to NVDA-AVGO-TMO-MU-GOOG(L)-EME

I have a few accounts, I typically have 5k dollars as a full position and try to have each equity in each account (at 5k mark) to make it easier to manage--it's not always the case but it's what I try to do. When an equity grows and shoots above the 5k say into the 7k to 8k plus range sometimes I'll trim and move that money either into abother equity that has been dropping or to build cash position.

I do have several equities well above the 5k mark but typically it's what I'm dealing with as a full position in each account. I have 4 main accounts plus a kplan, wife's retirement accounts and one small inherited IRA that I don't really touch except for once or twice a year.

So there are 7 accounts I manage but 3 barely get touched. As we retire these kplans will be dropped into rollover IRA's, the inherited IRA will be depleted in 6 years by law, and another wll be depleted eventually as I gift 50% of that one away then close it.

Eventually we will have 3 accounts.
B: ODFL SAIA (adds) on Friday

Man, this placed died on the vine