Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron's portfolio in retirement
In these times boring is exactly what you want.

The last few days was nothing more then a bear rally. We’re not done going down. They suckers my buyers in today lol

I have been lightening up the past few days freeing up cash and buying high dividend safe stocks.

CM was one of those buys. Added PDI, O, JEPI, STAG and EPR as well.

I’m putting proceeds into stocks that hold up well and pay a monthly dividends. This way at least I’m still making money. I’m not looking to make the big bucks right now. Just 4-5% from now and 2 years.

80% of my stocks right now are at a .60 or lower on beta. Boring as hell but that’s ok for now lol

The market the last 3 days rallied for no reason other then it became over sold. But I expect more downside and more lows. I am 50% cash now. But my dividend portfolio went up 9% this week so .
Ron does DGI as it's supposed to be done. Buy quality dividend stocks and generally doesn't sell them unless re-balancing. Most of my port is boring as well. I discuss the more exciting activity on the trading thread but that isn't a huge part of my port.
(05-27-2022, 08:46 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Ron does DGI as it's supposed to be done.  Buy quality dividend stocks and generally doesn't sell them unless re-balancing.  Most of my port is boring as well.  I discuss the more exciting activity on the trading thread but that isn't a huge part of my port.

Thank you for the compliment.  A decade now into my switch to DGI and I have finally learned enough to feel fairly comfortable muddling though it.  It helps, at the age of 70, to have the household budget made with SS and pensions.  I do not have to get all excited about our portfolio values.  

At the close Friday we were 1.1% off of our portfolio highs.

At the close Friday, our project year forward dividends are at a all time high, both because of the selective reinvestment of accumulated dividends AND the dividend increases we received from RY and CM this past week.

In June I will be making a weekly reinvestment - it is one of our 4 big months.  I do not know what share prices will do during June, but we will be, given no dividend cuts, at another record estimated forward 12 month dividends.
I am also about 1% off my highs. I feel very fortunate. It's not unusual for a dividend stock to suffer less downdraft, but I am not sure I have ever seen it outperform the index by 20%.
Now for my favorite post each week

Ron's Dividend Land this week, AKA all is well on the southern front.

I received some dividends from : WEC, PTY, ENB, and UTG. Except for WEC, these are some of my high yield positions.

I bought some shares of: EOG and RY. This is an example of using dividends/distributions from higher yield/lower dividend growth positions and using them to purchase mid-yield/faster dividend growth companies.

I know if you look at EOG, the current yield is about 2.1%, but, excluded from that number are 3 special dividends declared or paid in the the last 6 months, which exceeds the regular dividends ($4.80 v 2.25 respectfully).

So, of course, that increases our dividend/distribution flows once again.

Fourteen more dividends coming in this month. I am sure I will be putting them to work and writing about it here.
An Exchange yesterday on SA. The first line from a friend

+++That's excellent to be down only 1.4%. I'm assuming that it may partly be attributable to being overweight in energy?+++

Yes, I think so on energy. It constitutes 21% of our portfolios.

Here are some YTD figures from SA - I am not sure if their quote pages are share price only, or Total Return.

EOG up 56.1%
PBA up 34.45%
KMI up 21%
ENB up 20.1%

We have two investment accounts, both IRAs. Kathy's (Account 2) is 70% of the total.

Account 1 - YTD -1.95%
Account 2 - YTD +4.78%
S&P 500 - YTD -12.76%
DJ* YTD - 14.11%

DJ is the Dow Jones US Total Stock Market Index.

By my reckoning that is, for the indexes, not very deep into correction territory and still a ways above bear market territory.
(06-07-2022, 11:17 AM)rnsmth Wrote: An Exchange yesterday on SA.  The first line from a friend

+++That's excellent to be down only 1.4%. I'm assuming that it may partly be attributable to being overweight in energy?+++

Yes, I think so on energy. It constitutes 21% of our portfolios.

Here are some YTD figures from SA - I am not sure if their quote pages are share price only, or Total Return.

EOG up 56.1%
PBA up 34.45%
KMI up 21%
ENB up 20.1%

We have two investment accounts, both IRAs. Kathy's (Account 2) is 70% of the total.

Account 1 - YTD -1.95%
Account 2 - YTD +4.78%
S&P 500 - YTD -12.76%
DJ* YTD - 14.11%

DJ is the Dow Jones US Total Stock Market Index.

By my reckoning that is, for the indexes, not very deep into correction territory and still a ways above bear market territory.
S&P has one been in official correction territory only a few days this entire time.  Russell 2000 is another matter.  Mid caps are not in a lot better shape. I think I read 70% of the Nasdaq is down at least 50%.  It's been a good year to be in dividend stocks for sure.
The week in Ron's dividend land

Received dividends from AMGN, JNJ and our last one from SO.

Remember SO, I sold it and replaced it with EVRG? Will also get our first divvy from EVRG this month, doubling up on divvies earned by that chunk of money.

Put accumulated divvies into TU this week, so we once again have a record amount of dividends over the next 12 months. That is how easy this stuff works.

Next week we have O and PBA, both monthly payers, hitting the accounts. Kind of a slow week, but then the next two weeks accelerate a lot. Will have to watch the market to see where we are going to put those dividends.

We reinvest accumulated dividends in up, down and flat markets, and plan to continue doing so.
That's one of the primary attractions to accumulating dividends. We can usually find a reasonable place to reinvest even when the market is getting frothy. Dripping everything works ok but we really are buying high for no reason.
Ron's Week in Dividend Land

Received divvies from O and PBA
Got a small dividend increase from O
Reinvested some accumulated dividends in SCHD.

Have a lot more dividends coming in over the next two weeks, and the plan is to reinvest them soon after they are received.

Ron's week in Dividend Land

Received somed dividends - NIE and LMT today!!

SSD looked at SCHD's dividend declaration, and told me I got a good jump in income. Good for me, but I am happy to wait until December to see what the year over year total is.

Bought some shares of SCHD.

The new shares of SCHD once again increase the dividend estimate for the next 12 months.

This is getting to seem pretty easy
(05-28-2022, 01:35 AM)rnsmth Wrote:
(05-27-2022, 08:46 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Ron does DGI as it's supposed to be done.  Buy quality dividend stocks and generally doesn't sell them unless re-balancing.  Most of my port is boring as well.  I discuss the more exciting activity on the trading thread but that isn't a huge part of my port.

Thank you for the compliment.  A decade now into my switch to DGI and I have finally learned enough to feel fairly comfortable muddling though it.  It helps, at the age of 70, to have the household budget made with SS and pensions.  I do not have to get all excited about our portfolio values.  

At the close Friday we were 1.1% off of our portfolio highs.

At the close Friday, our project year forward dividends are at a all time high, both because of the selective reinvestment of accumulated dividends AND the dividend increases we received from RY and CM this past week.

In June I will be making a weekly reinvestment - it is one of our 4 big months.  I do not know what share prices will do during June, but we will be, given no dividend cuts, at another record estimated forward 12 month dividends.

i'm down 18% plus ytd