Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Sold out of my ULTA position and used the proceeds to initiate a position in ETSY.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(10-30-2020, 02:56 PM)EricL Wrote: Sold out of my ULTA position and used the proceeds to initiate a position in ETSY.

How did you end up doing on the ULTA position?  You've held it for years right?  More importantly what would need to change to make it a decent buy?  I ask because it's on my watch list.  The mall footprint makes me cautious for the near future.  I have a cousin-inlaw that manages an Ulta  store.     

I have another week or so of cash for small purchases, then it's time to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Unlike March I don't have much trash I feel the need to take out this time.
(10-30-2020, 02:56 PM)EricL Wrote: Sold out of my ULTA position and used the proceeds to initiate a position in ETSY.

Eric noooo... Don't sell ULTA.. It was one of the few in the green today  Big Grin

You should have kept both.  They go hand and hand.. Didn't you get my memo about women shoppers lol. I love ULTA. I have 2 daughters who shop there weekly. Well my money  Big Grin

Honestly for me I have no reason to sell it. They are doing very well. If it gets to $185 or so I will add more. 

I'm kidding with you. Hope it works out.
(10-30-2020, 03:36 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

How did you end up doing on the ULTA position?  You've held it for years right?  More importantly what would need to change to make it a decent buy?  I ask because it's on my watch list.  The mall footprint makes me cautious for the near future.  I have a cousin-inlaw that manages an Ulta  store.     

I have another week or so of cash for small purchases, then it's time to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Unlike March I don't have much trash I feel the need to take out this time.

I owned ULTA for about a year in this account and took a 14% loss.

I like ETSY's growth prospects much more than ULTA in the current economy. This was in a trading account, so while I think ULTA may be fine long-term, I bought it for growth, and it's not doing much growing right now.
(10-30-2020, 03:37 PM)divmenow Wrote:

Eric noooo... Don't sell ULTA.. It was one of the few in the green today  Big Grin

You should have kept both.  They go hand and hand.. Didn't you get my memo about women shoppers lol. I love ULTA. I have 2 daughters who shop there weekly. Well my money  Big Grin

Honestly for me I have no reason to sell it. They are doing very well. If it gets to $185 or so I will add more. 

I'm kidding with you. Hope it works out.

I had to sell something to buy ETSY. I think ULTA will be fine long-term, but with another COVID wave, I don't think it's going anywhere soon. I like ETSY's growth prospects much more than UTLA's over the next couple of quarters.
(10-30-2020, 03:42 PM)EricL Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 03:36 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

I owned ULTA for about a year in this account and took a 14% loss.

I like ETSY's growth prospects much more than ULTA in the current economy. This was in a trading account, so while I think ULTA may be fine long-term, I bought it for growth, and it's not doing much growing right now.
Make-up is an area I missed the bus on.  I've felt stupid when the stocks rocked and the best brand make up had been on my bathroom vanity where I shave each day.   Big Grin   It's been a hobby for my wife for a very long time. We never go anywhere, but she still enjoys it.  If anyone needs 500 tubes of barely used high end  lipstick and mascara I can hook you up.  Smile
Talking to some of my friends seems like Covid will continue well into 2022 even with vaccine. It's a virus after all and they mutate and don't disappear just like that. It will become less deadly as human body adapts and herd immunity develops.

People are getting less and less cautious and trying to be more out and about. 2021 beyond travel will start going up and people won't be as affraid to eat out or social.

Given a lot of oil acquisitions/ consolidations are happening and more will happen while the production declines. I am getting bulish on oil 4-5 years from now.

Seriously thinking to add more oil( I am already waist deep in it). Can oil trade at $100 a barrel before 2025? @fenders53 and other more seasoned folks would love to hear some thoughts on this again.
(11-01-2020, 06:01 PM)vbin Wrote: Talking to some of my friends seems like Covid will continue well into 2022 even with vaccine. It's a virus after all and they mutate and don't disappear just like that. It will become less deadly as human body adapts and herd immunity develops.

People are getting less and less cautious and trying to be more out and about. 2021 beyond travel will start going up and people won't be as affraid to eat out or social.

Given a lot of oil acquisitions/ consolidations are happening and more will happen while the production declines. I am getting bulish on oil 4-5 years from now.

Seriously thinking to add more oil( I am already waist deep in it). Can oil trade at $100 a barrel before 2025? @fenders53 and other more seasoned folks would love to hear some thoughts on this again.
I am going to drag this into other threads for you and then comment there.  VERY good subjects we should be discussing for the foreseeable future.
Anyone have any election moves in mind? It's mostly too late for the obvious sectors IMO. I am going to stick to my plan and mostly just look for bargains and tiny adds should they occur, as if it's most any other week. The market hates the unknown so a contested election is probably trouble for some time period. I am on my fifth president and Bush W was the only term I can say was bad. Even then, just accumulated those 8 years and it's all good in the end. I am a Republican, and I keep hearing proclamations that DEMs will crash the market for sure. The past doesn't support that conclusion. Not even close to my reality. I'll wait for the next dip and adjust for the winner to some degree. Most good DGI stocks will be fine if you do nothing. There will be a stimulus in the coming months and the market is addicted to FED printing. That will probably be a good trade, or a time to adjust holdings. Doing absolutely nothing is a rational plan IMO.

If I have a message, it's pay attention but don't let your politics play too big of a role. A good politician rarely completes even half his campaign plans. I'm not a Trump fan at all, but IMO he attempted to do WAY more than average. China is a good example. He sure kicked it up, but how much has really changed, and will it last the next time there is a party change? Seems to me Obama terrified Pharma and health insurance? Not so much happened to my stocks. Seems to me it's rare when it doesn't take 8-10 years to make a big change in how US companies grow profits. The GOV is not going to put GOOGLE, FB, JNJ or even XOM out of business. Killing jobs will get you defeated in the next election, and halfway through a term that is all they care about.

I type too much here but hope this might be a calming post to a younger investor. The sun is gonna rise on your portfolio Wednesday, and many Wednesdays thereafter. Over time there will a lot of great investment Wednesdays.
(11-01-2020, 09:58 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyone have any election moves in mind?

Well, I've got a ton of money to throw around as one of my larger holdings (Northview REIT) is getting bought out this week. Funnily enough I can't find an exact date, but it says "scheduled to close the week of November 2", so should be any day now.  Smile And of course I just added my monthly cash injection to my portfolio as it's the beginning of the month.

So, no matter what happens, I'll be adding quite a bit of quality companies in these coming days/weeks. Looks like it'll be mostly REITs, defense, and some of those "always expensive but always good" stocks such as PEP, JNJ, HON.
(11-02-2020, 05:04 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(11-01-2020, 09:58 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyone have any election moves in mind?

Well, I've got a ton of money to throw around as one of my larger holdings (Northview REIT) is getting bought out this week. Funnily enough I can't find an exact date, but it says "scheduled to close the week of November 2", so should be any day now.  Smile  And of course I just added my monthly cash injection to my portfolio as it's the beginning of the month.

So, no matter what happens, I'll be adding quite a bit of quality companies in these coming days/weeks. Looks like it'll be mostly REITs, defense, and some of those "always expensive but always good" stocks such as PEP, JNJ, HON.
I'm going to try to be opportunistic, but not too speculative.  I need to slow down on defense for now.  PEP and JNJ are starting to look attractive.  I think my near future put sells will be on these.  The next time the market slaps my hand I'd like to be stuck with junk like discounted PEP.

I have NOV money for my new growthy port.  I'm having too much fun buying one or two shares at a time.  I forgot how much fun that was from my early investment days.
Anyone adding 2 shares of BABA today down $28 lol