Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW portfolio - Taking the hit and cleaning out my garbage!
(10-14-2014, 08:36 AM)Lewys120 Wrote: Hi Daat I agree with what you're saying but here are a couple of problems;

1. UK brokerage is not as competitive as US brockerage. The 'going rate' for non frequent traders around here is around £10.

2. My broker has no inactivity fee and only a 0.45% yearly administration fee

3. I receive a monthly magazine which gives helpful tips and advice.

4. My major gripe though is that I pay 1% to re-invest dividends Sad
- Looking at competition this also seems to be the norm with brokers who don't charge charging a quarterly 'subscription fee' of around £20

5. Cheap brokers around here have a record of poor customer service.

6. My broker offers comprehensive analysis of all company financials, p/e, divgrowth, cover e.t.c in a convenient easy to use service.

I totally agree with your advice though, it just doesn't seem like the rates are competitive here in the UK! I have E-mailed my broker asking for a concession on free trades as this has just been offered to new customers Smile

I should get paid for being loyal right Wink

Thanks
Lewys
I'm not living in the US and not a US citizen and the brokerages in my country charge even more than yours do.

This is why I chose to use international broker account in Interactive Brokers.
I know that ThinkOrSwim also offers international accounts.
It's true that their customer service is lacking but to be honest with you, I don't see the need to use it.

When I had a few questions (regarding regulations) I used their online chat support and it was just fine.

Please keep in mind that I'm a technical person so I didn't had a lot of problems understanding how to use their platform for my needs (selling put options for stocks I want to buy).

The 0.45% administration fee turns out to a lot of money when your account grows (and it should grow if you believe in DGI investing).

I know Interactive Brokers has business relations with brokerage dealers world-wide where the brokerage dealers provide the service to the customers and IB provides the trading account with the platform so that might be a possible alternative.

I use such dealer myself (and pay almost twice more in commissions compared to normal IB customer) but I can talk to someone in my own language over the phone if I need something.

They helped me fill out all the forms when I started out, haven't used them since.

They also send a "weekly market update report" but those most of the time contain a lot of noise and intended to make you want to trade more - this is the opposite of what DGI is all about and I avoid it like a plague.

It all turns out to how much you are willing to pay for what you are getting.

My advice to you is to summarize your (expected) expenses in a full year using different brokers and then decide if you want to pay the price of what you are getting or not.

In my opinion, making a decision before comparing all the facts isn't a very good practice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEW portfolio - Taking the hit and cleaning out my garbage! - by daat99 - 10-19-2014, 07:36 AM