Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW portfolio - Taking the hit and cleaning out my garbage!
Lewys, you're welcome for the help but it's not just me. Several others also offered helpful suggestions.

I like your new additions and I think you're getting to a portfolio that is a solid foundation. I do have one question, are you buying on the New York Stock Exchange or the London Exchange or both? The reason I'm asking is because I have no clue if the dividend yield in GBP is the same as the USD. I'm an old curmudgeon and can't quite grasp the conversion between Pound Sterling currency and the dollars & cents method we're using here. Hence, would it be better to buy ULVR on the London Exchange or UL on the New York Exchange?

I especially like the XOM and MCD additions.

GSK has a spotty dividend record but the high yield can compensate for some of that. AFLAC has transitioned to slower growth due to, in my opinion, the Yen/Dollar disparity, U.S. tax code and overall financial malaise in the world this decade. They may return to faster growth in the long term if some of these factors get resolved but, in the meantime, you will get a regular check from them.

UL and T are also both slow growers but, again, reliable dividend payers building a foundation for your cash stream.

I also encourage you to look at a little faster growing dividend growth companies. At your age, you can take advantage of time and compounding to really grow your wealth. Amongst them, to me, would be examples like AAPL, BDX, CHD, PH, TJX and even CL. The yield sucks for me right now (and some are overvalued) since I have less than a decade before I'm going to need some of those dividends but I think in 20 years, you'd really be smiling. Big Grin

Don't forget to come back here and ask questions.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEW portfolio - Taking the hit and cleaning out my garbage! - by Dividend Watcher - 10-13-2014, 11:00 AM