Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is enough?(buying stocks)
I'm a ditto to the above also.

I don't mean to criticize but it seems some of you new-to-investing-for-the-long-term youngsters here are trying to swing for the fences. Unfortunately, I, for one, tried that too. Some years were OK and some really stunk. It wasn't until the magic of the Internet and sites like this, Seeking Alpha, Dividend Mantra's site, Tim McAleenan's site, David Fish's CCC list and a bunch of other miscellaneous sites came along that I got my act together much later than many of you. I didn't have family that were big into investing. My own parents, born at the tail end of the Great Depression, gave up on in investing during the market downturn of 73-74. Fortunately, they had nice pensions to rely on.

If you're really interested in building wealth for the long-term, then dividend growth investing or buy, hold & monitor seems to me to be the most reliable method of doing so. Unfortunately, it's boring as hell until the time comes that they keep throwing enough money at you that you can't sensibly spend it all.

Tim McAleenan has a good example of how boring this can be. The article, about MCD, is here.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by EricL - 08-19-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by TomK - 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by Dividend Watcher - 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM