Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is enough?(buying stocks)
The whole point of DGI is to allow younger investors with limited investment cash to allow time and compounding "interest" (DRIP) to do the work of a larger initial cash investment. Not knowing you situation, I would venture a "guess" that the only higher yield stocks you should consider are bellwethers like AT&T and some strong utilities like Southern. You need your money safe and growing for the next 20-40 years. And to my thinking, a stock like Coke or P&G, etc. are virtually as sure a bet as a bank.*

Its worth considering some higher yield investment AFTER you core is set. I have 40 buy and hold positions constituting over 90% of my equity portfolio. THEN I started dabbling in BDC and the likes. I have about 8% there, great interest--but talk about volatile! My Buy and Hold Portfolio has gain almost 12% in value over the last 2.5 years, my higher yield has lost 1.7% even after drips.

But hey, MORL is a little better bet than the lottery ;-)

Look for Companies that have a history of increasing dividends over decades, buy on the dip, and then let the decades work for you ;-)

You've probably already seen this, but this thread is an interesting introductory discussion http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=652

Ronn

*PLEASE NOTE I SAID VIRTUALLY: stocks are NOT federally insured deposits (disclaimer--gotta have 'em ;-) )

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by EricL - 08-19-2014, 10:36 PM
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by ronn38 - 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: How much is enough?(buying stocks) - by TomK - 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM