Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning for Retirement
Do not make the mistake of thinking you can easily extend your working years if you hit retirement age and do not have enough saved. Your physical and/or mental health could prevent you from holding any job, and employment opportunities could be scarce or non-existent. Cognitive and physical decline with aging is inescapable.

Long term employment trends are for fewer full time jobs and more part time and temporary work in the USA; I assume Canada is no different. Automation and software are usurping more and more types of work, and employers are increasingly unwilling to hire full time workers. As our population grows, competition for those jobs will become more and more fierce, and if you are older you are less likely to win that competition.

The advice at the start of this thread is excellent, the one non-sequiter aside (did anyone besides me spot it?). To that, I add the advice to be lucky if you can. Although we all want to believe that we are in charge of our lives, in reality we are all subject to random chance over which we have no control.

Messages In This Thread
Planning for Retirement - by cannew - 05-18-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: Planning for Retirement - by hendi_alex - 05-18-2014, 08:55 AM
RE: Planning for Retirement - by Be Here Now - 05-18-2014, 01:48 PM