Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Balance, Yes or No?
I don't think there is a direct yes or no; not, at least, in my case. There are too many variables.

Yes, I've sold a little of my big gainers in both my and my wife's portfolios and I've sold some INTC which wasn't doing anything with the dividend lately and was too large a position relative to where I wanted it. I've also swapped BDX for BAX in my wife's portfolio.

In each case, I used the proceeds to 1.) increase the dividend stream or 2.) to diversify the portfolio without denting the income stream too much. Now that my portfolios are where I feel comfortable and have a couple of outstanding limit orders to get me at the diversification goal in my business plan, I don't plan on doing much else. I'm able to add much more to my wife's account than mine at this time so I can work further on diversifying her as the cash becomes available.

For the foreseeable future, no, there is no more rebalancing expected unless a company really stumbles. Then, I guess it's a matter or trimming or getting out completely and finding a replacement. I don't consider that rebalancing.

I see it perfectly logical for someone not to even consider rebalancing. Depends on your temperment and all the variables that go into how you want to build your portfolio.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by cannew - 05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by EricL - 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by cannew - 05-09-2014, 02:00 PM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by EricL - 05-09-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by Dividend Watcher - 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by Jimbo - 05-09-2014, 07:59 PM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by hendi_alex - 05-09-2014, 09:44 PM
RE: Re-Balance, Yes or No? - by Kerim - 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM