Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan's portfolio
I'll explain some of the companies that might be unfamiliar to people.

Rockwood Holdings (ROC) is the closest thing to a pure play in lithium production. They mine and process lithium for batteries, pharmaceuticals, and other industries. I believe this is a lucrative industry due to electric vehicles and other devices. However it trades at a steep price. The other part of the business is chemical treatments for industrial coatings, which is heavily exposed to the auto industry. They have a strong shareholder return philosophy and are a recent dividend payer.

United Natural Foods Inc (UNFI) is the largest distributor of natural and organic products. They are the main supplier to Whole Foods, but WFM is only part of a diverse revenue stream, so they're more of a whole sector play. They don't pay a dividend, but they've been growing earnings rapidly and I expect this to continue.

Pattern Energy (PEGI) is a renewable energy utility that owns wind farms selling power through PPA contracts. It's basically a yieldco with an expansionist twist.

ITC Holdings (ITC) is an electric transmission line owner and developer, and fast dividend grower. They operate on a toll road model, kind of like KMI (except without an MLP). I think this is a good way to play the utility space.

Awilco Drilling (AWLCF) is a small UK-based drill rig operator with two old midwater rigs outfitted for the North Sea. They are relatively unknown and undervalued, and they pay a hefty yield. However there's no growth story.

Pacific Drilling (PACD) is an upstart Houston-based ultra-deepwater drill rig operator with the newest fleet in the industry, bar none. They are the only company with 100% newbuild ultra-deepwater ships. They also have high exposure to Chevron as a customer, which gives me comfort. They don't pay a dividend yet but they're talking about initiating one in 2015.

Novo-Nordisk (NVO) is a pure play (almost) in the diabetes space. I think this is a no-brainer part of the healthcare sector to be invested in, since sugar and western diets are growing fast around the world, and diabetes along with it. NVO has been growing at a double digit cagr for a while and the dividend has been growing even faster. They have no debt. They are in Denmark, so they only pay annually and the government taxes the dividend 28%. You can get a credit for this from the IRS. I consider them a long term growth story.

WhiteWave Foods (WWAV) is a high growth organic food company with a small yet well targeted brand portfolio. They don't pay a dividend and they probably won't for a long time, but I think the growth story is compelling.

Hannon Armstrong (HASI) provides structured finance products for renewable energy and infrastructure development, and is structured as a REIT. They have a pretty convincing story if you listen to their presentations, and their goal is to be a dividend grower. They went public in 2013 but they have a longer history as a privately held company.

Messages In This Thread
Dan's portfolio - by earthtodan - 04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by earthtodan - 04-06-2014, 02:35 PM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by Kerim - 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by earthtodan - 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by rnsmth - 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by Dividend Watcher - 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Dan's portfolio - by earthtodan - 04-11-2014, 11:25 PM