Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deere Doesn't Raise
I gave up on a raise for a while now. Nice article, BTW, Eric. I missed it too.

However, I stepped back and looked at my portfolio as a whole. My dividend income in both portfolios are up about 5%ish for the year so far and just below my goal of 6% annual increases. DE is a cyclical and I knew that when I bought it a few years ago. At the time, I expected the boom times the ag sector was experiencing would not last forever. I think I said here at the time that buyers should expect earnings and share price would probably be cut in half. Surprisingly, the share price is still hanging in mid-air. Over the very long term, we still need food to support a rapidly growing world-wide population and, around here in my new hometown, if you're not a Deere owner, you're a wannabe farmer.

So the question was, where was a I going to put my money if I sold out? I want to add more utes and REITs but both had been bid up lately and I'm not satisfied they've dropped enough yet to take a bigger stake. Staples are still in an airy price range. The oil patch is still blowing in the wind. Add to that the "odd" economic conditions we've experienced since the start of the Great Recession and I've decided to stand pat for now unless they cut the dividend.

I don't blame others for cashing out. I've turned off the DRIP a while ago but that's it for now.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
Deere Doesn't Raise - by Kerim - 02-26-2014, 10:22 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by fiveoh - 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by EricL - 02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by Dividend Watcher - 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by ChadR - 03-03-2014, 04:30 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by Kerim - 09-13-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by EricL - 09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by Kerim - 09-14-2016, 10:25 AM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by Dividend Watcher - 09-15-2016, 01:07 AM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by ronn38 - 09-16-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Deere Doesn't Raise - by DividendGarden - 09-19-2016, 08:59 AM