Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locking Threads?
A couple other boards I belong to lock threads that are over xx days old.

The theory is that the original topic has been beat to death and most new posts were the "me too" type rather than adding substance to the topic.

It also gets cumbersome to wade through more than 5 pages of posts and maintain the thought process to specifically answer the original post. The KO thread seems to be trending that way. If someone wants to continue the topic (which usually is an offshoot of the original post), a new thread is started.

Some posts are kept open intentionally, such as introductions or other mundane topics, to allow some to build up post counts or because there is no timeliness to the subject such as photos of your cat, etc.

So, my thinking is wouldn't it be wise to limit the time a thread is open here? A cogent discussion on a company can only go so long before the next quarterly earnings report or significant news appears possibly changing the dynamics of the company.

Similarly, a question on portfolios can only go so long before either something is acted upon or the status quo remains until something goads you into a different action. Asking about the short-term effects of GE's dividend cut in the same thread two years after it happened doesn't add anything to the original post, IMO. Discussing what really occurred over those 2 years and looking forward would be more appropriate in a new thread.

Just thinking out loud here. Wondering about Kerim's thoughts (since he's the Big Kahuna) and others.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
Locking Threads? - by Dividend Watcher - 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
RE: Locking Threads? - by Kerim - 02-21-2014, 06:03 PM