Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Remodel - current project
I was High school science teacher for about 28 years. Dad was really handy though, and I helped him do an addition to our house and later he built his own house at the lake when I was in high school. Spent lots of week ends working on that house and watching friends ski by. As it turns out, the house building was a much better way to have spent my summer, as opposed to playing and skiing. Building/remodeling skills reward a person for an entire lifetime. My dad was the kind of person who could just watch someone, or look to see how something was put together and then do a competent job himself. I don't have the skills of a pro, but am much more careful and that care is a pretty big equalizer, giving a better result than many who call themselves pros, but in fact are not. I only got a modest dose of mechanical/common sense from my dad, but that is still enough to provide me with the skills to do most anything. My dad's confidence and ability was simply unbelievable!

I also got a bit of experience with summer jobs when in high school. Worked with a framing crew one year. Also worked with an electric contractor for about a year. Got lots of experience building/contracting my current house, in 1978. Only contracted out the heavy stuff plus the plumbing. Did everything else with a lot of help from my dad.
Alex

Messages In This Thread
Home Remodel - current project - by hendi_alex - 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by Kerim - 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by hendi_alex - 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by Kerim - 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by Kerim - 12-16-2013, 09:23 PM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by Kerim - 12-22-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: Home Remodel - current project - by ChadR - 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM