Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covered Call income ETFs vs DIY
QQQ- Buy 100 shares at 398, so a $39,800 capital commitment.  I would sell the covered call 30 days out at strike 406 which is 2% out of the money.  The monthly premium received would be $415.  I will receive the small dividend.  We'll call it $40 per month.   The commission would be one dollar or less times a potential closing trade sp $2 /month.  Initial yield on this trade is 415+40-2 so $453.  So a 1.14% monthly yield.  If the QQQ runs through my strike my max profit is capped at an additional $800.  I would have to rebuy shares and repeat the process.  Similar to what a ETF does.  They actually use European style options which are not exercised prior to expiration.  They just buy them back at a loss if necessary and move on to next month.  If you held the ETF you get some portion of that $800 in share appreciation or larger dividend that month.

SPY- Buy 100 shares at 475, so a $47,500 capital commitment.  I would sell the covered call 30 days out at strike 485 which is 2% out of the money.  The premium received would be $230  I will receive the small dividend.  We'll call it $55 per month.   The commission would be one dollar or less times a potential closing trade so $2 /month.  Initial yield on this trade is 230+55-2 so $283.  So a  monthly yield og spt .53% a month.  So less appealing than QQQ but historically less volatile.  If SPY runs through my strike my max profit is capped at an additional $1000.  I would have to rebuy shares and repeat the process.  Similar to what an ETF does but they simply roll them and eat the option loss.  

IWM-(Russel 2000)-Buy 100 shares at 223 so a $22,300 capital commitment.  I would sell the covered call 30 days out at strike 228 which is 2% out of the money.  The premium received would be $265.  I will receive the small dividend.  We'll call it $17 per month.   The commission would be one dollar or less times a potential closing trade so $2 /month.  Initial yield on this trade is 265+17 so $282.  So a  monthly yield of about 1.26% a month.   If IWM runs through my strike my max profit is capped at an additional $500.  

I'll give this some thought and probably launch a monthly round early next week.  I do a similar version of this with some of my individual stocks so I anticipate a somewhat less volatile outcome.           

One advantage I see is I will not be receiving my own capital back to pay a "dividend".  My shares will be worth exactly what the index shares are worth.  Potential for at least the same dividend as the ETF, with a chance of grabbing a little more capital appreciation.  We'll see how it goes.  It's far less complicated than it might sound.

Messages In This Thread
Covered Call income ETFs vs DIY - by fenders53 - 01-01-2022, 07:18 PM
RE: Covered Call income ETFs vs DIY - by fenders53 - 01-01-2022, 07:52 PM