Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help somebody financially grow.
(03-30-2021, 12:21 PM)vbin Wrote: Sorry for your loss fenders.

Do any of you pay for your own health insurance? I wonder how we will afford, health insurance+ property taxes+ incomes taxes in retirement.

In bay, single fam, good school homes cost you $2M+ resulting in ~$30k property tax.

Imagine $40k health insurance+$30k property tax, that's $70k right there, just to be able to live and have health insurance every year.
It's scary for many.  You have to survive until you are eligible for Medicare if you retire early and lose your employer health benefits.  I have a military retirement and a civilian government employee retirement  locked.  I had health care for life the day I returned from my first year long war tour. (not my wife though).  My wife and I have almost free health insurance end of next year when I turn 60.  We'd have medicare otherwise which is similar.  FED GOV employee benefits are not even fair compared to what others face.

My property tax is not much more than 10% of yours for my 20 year old home and my public services are about the same I'd bet.  You gotta live where your job is now but I don't think I'm losing out living where wages are only 50-70% of Cali.  People retire and move away from here and save another 25% on basic home costs.  The disparity across the nation is pretty drastic.  I'm not suggesting you have to live in poverty stricken rural Mississippi but you have MUCH more affordable choices when the kids are out of school and you are retired.  Not a chance I would retire in the high rent district. 

To your original numbers, a couple can live fairly comfortable on $50K here provided you enter retirement with a paid off house and don't need a new car year one.  I don't have to do that but I could live OK and take a vacation or two a year.  Little different than my working years when I was accumulating.  $100K here and you are walking in high cotton for sure.

Messages In This Thread
Help somebody financially grow. - by fenders53 - 03-29-2021, 12:34 PM
RE: Help somebody financially grow. - by ChadR - 03-30-2021, 09:37 AM
Help somebody financially grow. - by vbin - 03-30-2021, 12:21 PM
RE: Help somebody financially grow. - by fenders53 - 03-30-2021, 01:17 PM
Help somebody financially grow. - by vbin - 03-31-2021, 02:56 PM