Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Reopening the Economy May Look Like
(04-08-2020, 09:40 PM)Otter Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 09:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That was an outstanding summary Otter.  Why do I have this feeling we are going to try Option 3 then double back this fall when it fails?  We need a vaccine really soon and and I know that isn't happening fast enough to save us.

“Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.”  - Sir Winston Churchill

The quote is apocryphal, but it captures the sentiment. 
An election year was a real inopportune time for this.  We stay locked down long enough there is political risk.  People are impatient already, especially if they live in a state that isn't suffering much.  Open and closed states isn't working either.  I'm sure you've seen me mention how ridiculous that is in practice.  They flood across the border to entertain themselves.  We are busier than normal and very little is even close to essential.  For now there are millions of people earning more on unemployment with the kicker, which I find a little odd.  Major retailers that are staying open are showering employees with cash and prizes.  That's good because too many customers are being very rude.  Getting my feelings bent out of shape isn't all that important, but I get a daily survey of how any people are still not willing to take this seriously.  These people are more likely to get the flu, and spread it to five businesses in one day.  I'm just not optimistic we can control the spread without strong measures that are actually enforced.  It's a little late for that I suppose. 

All that said, it's pretty clear the stock market doesn't care unless it flares up again.  I guess I keep on trading until it doesn't work.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Reopening the Economy May Look Like - by fenders53 - 04-08-2020, 10:33 PM