Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Cars
Let me first say that I am not a Musk worshiper or a Greta follower. I just think that anything that helps the air we breath and helps reduce our use of foreign oil, is a good thing. A lot of the arguments I hear against EV’s just don’t hold a lot of water and are very similar to the ones my 83 year old dad brought up when I purchased my Model 3. “You are just burning coal!” etc. From his standpoint he is (was) looking for reasons to not like them because of politics. 

“You are just burning coal in that thing.”
Actually dad, mostly no. In your (his) state the majority of electricity production is from natural gas with single digits produced from coal. Many states are less and have a very nigh percentage from renewables.
[/url]
[url=https://www.nei.org/resources/statistics/state-electricity-generation-fuel-shares]https://www.nei.org/resources/statistics/state-electricity-generation-fuel-shares

“The grid can’t handle all those electric cars.”
The average person drives less than 40 miles a day. Most EV’s are going to be charged at home and at night when demand is down. A person can easily charge off a standard 110v (5-6mph) to replenish their daily commute. A 240v (same as your clothes dryer) will give you 20-40mph. Think about it. Your whole neighborhood is running their AC all day in the summer, you don’t think you can plug in an EV at midnight when demand is half or less without straining the grid?

“I read when it is cold, you get less range.” 
Yes this is true and on a long trip this is something to take into consideration. It is also true that an ICE also loses up to 20% range in extreme cold as well. The difference is that it is easier at the moment to “fill up” an ICE car than it is an EV on a road trip. Of course this is not really a factor when we are talking about the “average” daily driving and an initial range of 240-300 miles. If you look at how the infrastructure is changing with regards to fast charging, this will become less and less of an issue. 

I AM NOT saying that EVs are perfect and that are going to work or be practical in every situation. If I had long distances to go in Alaska or some other cold rural area would it make sense? No. But for the average person in the average situation, many of the arguments are of the straw man variety at this point. 

Messages In This Thread
Electric Cars - by Ron Ricco - 02-10-2020, 08:08 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by fenders53 - 02-10-2020, 09:29 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by crimsonghost747 - 02-10-2020, 12:50 PM
RE: Electric Cars - by Ron Ricco - 02-11-2020, 08:55 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by fenders53 - 02-11-2020, 09:23 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by crimsonghost747 - 02-11-2020, 09:35 PM
RE: Electric Cars - by fenders53 - 02-12-2020, 12:31 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by Ron Ricco - 02-12-2020, 08:13 AM
RE: Electric Cars - by crimsonghost747 - 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM
RE: Electric Cars - by Ron Ricco - 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM