Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite financial paper/online source?
(11-25-2019, 07:18 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 06:29 AM)rayray Wrote: I've been thinking about subscribing to WSJ and or IBD--has anyone ever gotten one of these?

Back in the day the Valueline stock reports were THE source for a DIY investor.  I used to go to the library and read them in the reference section, and copy them for the investment club presentations we made to each other every month.  They were expensive to subscribe to back then.  The info you get from a decent discount brokerage account these days is nearly as good, and more updated of course.

I think the WSJ would have better, and more in-depth, general business news.

Back in my day, when brokerage commissions were $49.95 and up, I used to go to my broker's office in the city and make copies of the S&P report and the Value Line reports of stocks I was interrested in. None of the local libraries in our area had either available. Nowadays, in my local library here, they have paper copies of both the VL Survey and the VL Small Cap Survey. S&P research is available online from the local libraries connection. Of course, there's a plethora of information online now. Maybe too much causing "analysis paralysis".

fenders: In those days I used to get the trial subscription that lasted 13 weeks so you got the latest edition of the entire book. It only cost about $90-$100. Then I'd let it expire and take another trial a year later. Any specific details you wanted info about could be gotten by calling the broker or the company's Investor Relations department. You could also sign up for all press releases to be sent by mail from Investor Relations.

Now about the only thing I'd sign up for that cost money would be FastGraphs although I'd consider a VL trial sub. They don't offer those any more AFAIK.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
RE: favorite financial paper/online source? - by Dividend Watcher - 11-25-2019, 05:36 PM