Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(01-12-2021, 07:38 PM)vbin Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:24 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:05 PM)vbin Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 10:48 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Selling some UTE puts today.  The threat of higher interest rates will keep them down for while, but IMO rates will not get anywhere near high enough to make UTE div look like a bad income investment a few months from now.  If rates do rise that high we have trouble market wide anyway.  Sold DUK and XEL puts today.  May jump on AEP as well.  I already have some open on AEP and XEL because I nibbled in a few weeks too soon like always.  These will look better when the market finally gets rattled some day.   Sold a new MSFT put as well.  I've been trying to get back into MSFT for six months but so far just option premiums collected for my efforts.
I need to get into some Utes. I only have PCG. Sold out of duke, SO few others a while back. Checked today, they are still where they were. Lol thinking to sell ED and XEL puts tomorrow.
If you aren't excited about owning UTEs right now the XEL FEB 60s are my suggestion.  I doubt the in the money 65s will get you exercised but we never know.  DUK is always solid but I have no interest in SO at todays price.  There are better options IMO.  They have drama in the background I can avoid.  AEP looks good too though I'm not so sure their industrial customers are out of the woods.  They have the dirty Ohio politician stuff going on in the background but we probably would have heard by now if they were in trouble. They say they are innocent lol.  I own a ton of NEE but don't jump in now.  There is no need to pay a big premium for a UTE right now.  I sell NEE puts on a decent dip which doesn't happen too often.

In any event pick a UTE building out in the renewables.  No sense fighting the trend.  They still use lots of natty gas to feed your fossil fuel habit.  Smile
Will check XEL trade. Can u suggest some names in renewables? I have traded NEE and ENPH puts in the past, following ur trades. Lol
Sadly when I sell puts , often you should be selling them ten bucks in the money lol. I am just too conservative.  I sold quite a few Enphase and Canadian Solar puts 50% ago, and it wasn't very long ago.  I am out for now unless the market corrects them back.  It will takes years of perfect execution to justify their prices now.  If you continue to play renewables, keep the expirations short and don't be greedy. Sell out of the money so you can bail without a huge loss.  They may in fact run like EV but as you know we are approaching delusional valuations.  I'm not that good at MOMO. 

That said, the safest renewable trades will be UTEs because nothing is left.  If the sentiment continues the market gets desperate to buy anything related that isn't stupidly run up.  A half dozen major UTEs fit that theme.  The crazy thing is the UTEs are actually making money on solar and wind now.  The high flyers are making very modest money and running to the sky.   My favorite pure play is ENPH.  Are they worth the already realized 100% gain going forward?  Obama administration was very pro renewables and the stocks that ran up were absolutely destroyed.  It was 10+ years too early.  Are we actually there yet?  We're certainly closer but I don't know.  Momentum sentiment and near term profitability are not the same thing. At some point the market will act surprised if profits don't come.

Messages In This Thread
T puts ? - by john - 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: T puts ? - by fenders53 - 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: WEN options update - by john - 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: WEN options update - by fenders53 - 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today? - by fenders53 - 01-12-2021, 08:09 PM