Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
401k rollover - "final" portfolio building
In the next couple of months, I'll be rolling over my 401k's (both Roth and pre-tax) into my IRA's (one Roth and one pre-tax).  In the meantime, I've "locked in" my gains by shifting the entire 401k portfolio to short-term, fixed income.  I made that move about a week ago and sleep well at night.

Ultimately, my plan is to live off of my IRA's (100% in DGI stocks except for BRK.b and GOOGL shares, neither of which pay a dividend yet).  My personal approach is to have a mini-index fund, where I've got ~100 different companies and the risk is spread out.  In the spirit of "know thyself", that's my personality - I'm not one to have a concentrated portfolio.  However, the 100 companies are the highest quality, long-term DGI companies that we all know and love.  If 1 or 2 of them cut their dividend each year, so be it.  Overall, the dividend growth of the 98 will compensate for the 2 that fail.

Basically, wanted to bounce this entire thing off of the group before I move ahead.  Since it's such a major life decision, I wanted to use wisdom and seek the input from you, my trusted friends.  Am I playing it too safe?  

For reference, here's my "master list".  I will probably rank them by quality and put a bit extra into the higher-quality ones (JNJ, V, DIS, XOM).  

AAPL
ABBV
AFL
AMNF
AMP
AMZN
AXP
AZO
BABA
BAC
BDX
BEN
BF-B
BKSC
BMY
BP
BRK-B
CHD
CHH
CL
CLX
CMG
COP
COST
CSCO
CVS
CVX
DE
DEO
DFS
DIS
DJCO
DSFCU
DVA
FB
FNHC
GD
GE
GILD
GIS
GNTX
GOOGL
GSB
GSK
HD
HON
HRL
HSY
HTBK
IBM
INTC
ITW
JNJ
JPM
K
KDP
KHC
KINS
KMB
KMI
KO
KR
LB
LMT
MA
MCD
MCO
MDLZ
MKC
MKL
MMM
MO
MRK
MSFT
MTB
MUFG
NFLX
NKE
NOC
NSRGY
O
ORCL
OTTR
OXY
PAYX
PEP
PFE
PG
PKBK
PM
PSX
QCOM
RBGLY
RDS-B
RSG
SBSI
SBUX
SCHW
SFTBY
SJM
SO
SOUHY
SPOT
T
TCEHY
TIF
TMUS
TROW
UNM
USB
UTX
V
VZ
WFC
WMT
WTR
XOM
YORW

Messages In This Thread
401k rollover - "final" portfolio building - by DividendGarden - 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM