Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio
I've heard a lot about Robinhood. Almost all my funds are in my Vanguard account so I meet the threshold to get $2 stock and option trades, free ETFs and Mutuals. I won't feel too bad making purchases as small as $1000. Even smaller wouldn't be such a bad deal. My TD Ameritrade account has much higher fees so it's off limits for small purchases. I'd close the TD account but the investor research content is FAR superior to VG.

As I've mentioned repeatedly I much prefer entering positions by selling a a put, but I can give that a rest for a little while as I add a number of smaller positions in stocks I've had my eyes on for years, or owned them 25 yrs ago and sold them along the way. I am getting a bit overweight in some of my big dividend payers lately, T-KHC-MO etc. I'll feel comfortable if I diversify the DGI portion of my port a little more. Overall it's an imaginary problem as 1/3 of my port is in index mutuals and ETFs. Another 1/3rd in cash but that is going to change as I add more stocks if this dip continues at this pace.

If you don't mind, give me your two cents on the following moves I am contemplating since you own most all of them. I'll share my port when I get a chance to make a spreadsheet like Eric's. You own almost all the stocks in my port, or something close enough. I have all the sectors covered with stocks or ETFs.

I think I am a little light on consumer non-durables, but a little too heavy on KHC for my comfort as it seems to have no bottom and I don't like the growth prospects.
-Almost sure I will buy GIS now, may lighten up on KHC soon and add more to GIS if further research warrants the flip. PEP is on the buy list but probably a nibble. I don't see it as dirt cheap yet. Most of the the other popular cons non dur stocks do not appear to be undervalued IMO

-TELCOs- Probably buy some VZ soon. Lighten up on T and add to VZ. I'm pretty fat on T but wouldn't call it extreme. I could dump a couple hundred shares and have plenty left.

-Transports, I have none outside index funds. UPS looks good for a nibble, maybe, since it pretty much hit my price target we were joking about last week. IMO it's virtually impossible for FDX 2019 projections to come true and UPS comes through it all unscathed. Treading lightly on UPS.

-Industrials-Real bargains will come next recession, but MMM has been on my list forever. Might start a position. It will be small. Same with DE. I live next to world HQ so a hometown favorite. Also like BA, CAT and a few others that are tempting. None of them safe from a serious further drop IMO. I don't have any industrials now because the tariff threat was in play before I moved my port to VG and it was all in cash.

-TECH- I have a lot in tech ETFs. May nibble on some CSCO down here. Little else looks compelling to me yet.

For now I am good on the other sectors. I'd like to be balanced within the next 6 months if market allows. I'll always stay fat on healthcare and utilities though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio - by fenders53 - 12-20-2018, 06:24 PM