Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio
(12-16-2018, 09:20 PM)fenders53 Wrote: This was a good thread.  This is a very good forum.  I really like that everyone is open minded enough to discuss opposing views.  No one is here trying to "win the internet"  

Randomly from Kerims post..........

-I've had time to think about my last post and it wouldn't be so terrible if I can't live strictly off dividends.  It also wouldn't be so terrible if I don't achieve $100K annual income in retirement either (including some pensions so don't start thinking my DGI port is $3M lol).  It wouldn't hurt me to work part-time a few extra years either.  This is nothing to obsess about until retirement time.

-We'll have to talk about this Chowder rule sometime.  I'll have to plead ignorance of it.

-I've never owned an extravagant auto, though I have owned some new cars and trucks.  I told myself if I bought many I'd be working years longer.  I wouldn't be any happier in a $50K+ car.  No judgement of anyone that would be though.  

-When it gets true retirement time, I think I'll own about 12 of the very highest quality stocks.  Add a few high div sector ETFs I really believe in like healthcare or real estate..  I am fooling myself if I believe I can truly understand the business of every single sector, and how the macros like inverted yield curves truly affect them.  Doesn't mean I haven't invested in stocks I didn't understand well enough, I surely have, but when they got hurt I sometimes didn't see it coming because I wasn't informed enough.  I keep getting bit by oil, even though I think I know what drives those stocks.  You could interpret what I said as supportive of Otter's "too damn many stocks plan, but I can live with that".  His idea isn't completely crazy lol.  Smile  I doubt anyone has ever went broke attempting to own 100 good DGI stocks.

The Chowder Rule is really just a handy shortcut for attempting to estimate total return potential for DGI stocks. To get the Chowder Number, you just add the current yield and the average annualized past five-year dividend growth percentage (available on the CCC list, as is the Chowder Number itself). For slower-growth defensive sectors like Utes and Telcos, a Chowder Number of 8+ is considered good. For other sectors, 12+ is good if the current yield is 3%+. For low-yield (sub 3%) high-growers, 15+ is considered good. 

It is by no means a perfect metric (there are as many ways to carve up investing stats as there are baseball stats), but I find it helpful when used in combination with the other buy criteria I listed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio - by Otter - 12-17-2018, 09:32 AM