Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio
(12-13-2018, 02:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That absolutely applies to me Crimson.  I don't look at this the same as I did when I was your age and I am monetarily better off for it.  My opinion evolves over time and your's will too if your mind is open, which I believe it truly is.

Otter, you gotta have some faith and patience in  core positions longterm , but I find flaw in the attitude that I researched in once and my work is done forever.  I don't think you really believe that.  Feel free to dissent.  That's we are here  trading experiences and thoughts.

I will admit, set and forget is more of an aspirational goal than a bright line rule that I don't deviate from. Sale of GE position last year is one example of this, as was sale of OHI this year. I also keep a close eye on my IBM shares, as I think management is a disaster, and the years of declining revenues are concerning. Buybacks have allowed them to keep raising the dividend, but financial engineering can only go so far in a rising interest rate environment with declining revenues. 

The set/forget rule of thumb is mostly there to remind me that I can't realistically keep on top of all of the holdings in my private index fund, so not to stress about any one holding too much. 

That said, I'm also a hopeless investment junkie. As much as I love the thrill of figuring out what is a good value to buy next, I'll also spend Saturday mornings trawling through articles about my existing holdings. If I form the opinion that a once-favored holding is a dumpster fire in waiting, I'll kick it to the curb. I try not to rush into any such decision, and certainly wouldn't base it off of any one article or quarterly report.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio - by Otter - 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM