Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio
I'm in the Otter boat. I currently have 58 different companies. It wouldn't surprise when I retire, I'm at close to 100 companies. I'm a part of the buy and forget set. Would I be better off buying an index? I don't think so. An index would buy stocks that are over priced or that don't fit my investment goals. Also, after the initial purchase fee, I have no costs associated with my portfolio where I would have yearly fees with an index.

Also, I don't want to kill the golden goose. With having all of these stocks, I can just collect the dividends and keep the portfolio intact so if I happen to retire at the start of a bear market, I'm OK with it. And I've learned during my investing career that I do more damage to my portfolio when I start tinkering with it by trimming my winners and selling when I think something is over valued. Will some of my investments go to $0? Most likely, but with numerous different companies, I'm not worried about it. Now if 15% of my companies go under in quick succession, I've got bigger problems to worry about than my portfolio.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio - by ChadR - 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM