Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio
(12-13-2018, 10:44 AM)Otter Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 10:35 AM)fenders53 Wrote: That is quite a list Otter.  I personally believe all my stocks should be re-evaluated from time to time, or I am just stock collecting and an index would serve me better in the end.  Certain sectors may trend towards irrelevancy unless the companies diversify.  (fossil energy for example).  I use sector ETFs for part of my investment in sectors I feel less informed.  It just seems safer and the income is still there.  That said, your port is well diversified and your inclination towards dividend paying stocks should keep you out of trouble.   It may even outperform the broad indexes during certain market climates.  That is part of the core DGI strategy in the first place.

What can I say. Buyandhold2012 on Seeking Alpha is my spirit animal. Big Grin

I am a poor student, though. I have in fact sold shares, including this year. Trimmed XOM, CVX, and LLY as they were generating more than 5% of portfolio income at one point. Also sold UNIT for a roughly $50 long term capital gain, as it was just a speculative play in which I invested a small amount. The 12.5% yield was fun for a year, but meh.
Buy and Hold is quite a character.  I love it when an SA noob first reads him saying "my mother told me to do this so I did"  Then claims he is better at mowing lawns than investing. The reactions are epic sometimes.  Smile  

I enjoy investing in oil but I don't know why as I always time my entry wrong lol.  I see no harm in you trimming them if they were violating your diversity of income stream rules.  Well thought out rules are important.  We don't have to get this perfect to succeed as long as we have appropriate investing discipline.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Strategies for Building a DGI Portfolio - by fenders53 - 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM