Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio
I won't rewrite all of my investing novel as I already shared some on my new member thread yesterday.  I'd be much appreciative for any advice.  For the past 30 years I have purchased 90% growth stocks or index funds.   I got by with it mostly but need to lessen my overall risk now.  I am not at all comfortable with current valuations.  It will end bad eventually, just like always.  Not overly concerned  with immediate diversification because I can grab some index funds if the DGI thing goes too slow.  I am too old to wait for dividend compounding magic so this will be a hybrid portfolio.  I want to make an honest effort at a good DGI port though.   I thought I would begin with about 4-5 DG sectors to keep this less overwhelming.  That's already too much.  Several stocks per sector would make me more comfortable.  If you think any of these stocks are a real bad idea please speak up.  I'm open to alternatives to research.  Most of these are perhaps only worth an entry position, but perhaps a few are close enough to good value to make a serious investment.  I'd be happy if this port was somewhat defensive for now. 

Retail- WMT, and discount retailer perhaps?  Or maybe WBA?    

I am pretty firm on WMT as at least an entry position.  Owned it long ago in an investment club. 

Healthcare- ABT and another position.  I owned JNJ for over 20 years but just sold it in another account.  I'll nibble JNJ when the time is right.  It always pulls back.  

Restaurants- MCD seems obvious for hard times.  I'm open to other suggestions.

Consumer non-cyclicals, beveragerages, food etc.-  PEP and KHC look interesting.  KO looks way expensive.  So do many of the usuals for this sector.  PG and CL look like utility companies to me now.  Owned some of these in the investment club but SO long ago and things have changed.      

Utilities- Great experiences in the past.  I am emotionally attached to XEL (previously NSP) as it gave me a 500% gain over 20 years.  SO dividend and price looks really good now.  Might add a third utility.  It's an age appropriate sector.

TECH-  Going slow on this sector but I will take some reasonable risk.  I just know most of the FANG stocks are an accident waiting for a place to happen.  I somehow survived the 90s tech bubble (sorta).  AAPL looks attractive on a pullback but not so sure for a 10 year play without caution.  MSFT was a great mistake for me due to bubble timing.  Paid way too much and rode that sick horse for well over ten years.  Then it finally recovered and I got out $60 ago. Ugg!  Owned Cisco during the glory days.  I see it pays a DIV now.  Bet they aren't even the same hardware company I once owned.  Haven't researched any of these techs in earnest lately.  Hate to stay out of tech but may grab a tech EFT while I study my options.  It may be more appropriate for my age?

As I stated, any and all advice welcomed as I know some of you guys own these.

Messages In This Thread
Help the old guy start a DGI portfolio - by fenders53 - 09-01-2018, 04:01 PM