Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving abroad - What to do with portfolio?
Hi everyone, 

I've been researching this topic with very limited success so I'm wondering if anyone here can help me.

In short, I'm a green card holder with a fair investment in an US broker (Merrill Lynch) and I'm considering moving back to Europe (Barcelona) or Asia (Singapore) within the next 12 months. Merrill Lynch confirmed I would have to close shop and had no alternatives to offer... 

I also have my 401K with Vanguard and I'm assuming it can stay there until retirement age (similar to a retirement account I have from my years working in Ireland). I'll give Vanguard a call to doublecheck! 

Merrill Lynch only allows for US residents to trade so I would have to change to another broker. However, I haven't been able to understand how easy it is to transfer my positions to an European/Asian or ideally, a Global broker, who could deal with the tax implications of such move.

Has anyone gone through this process or has any idea how this could be processed? Being a "global" worker is a real mess  Undecided Undecided

Thanks a mill in advance!

Messages In This Thread
Moving abroad - What to do with portfolio? - by Rasec - 04-25-2017, 09:45 PM