Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 - year in review, thoughts about the future
A little overview of the past year, both on investments and my own personal life. While it certainly feels a bit odd for me to write more personal things in the internet, I feel like we've got a really good small community in here. So first of all, a big thank you to all of the members for the past year! Also, I highly encourage everyone to post their own thoughts about their year into this thread, and don't be afraid to throw in a word or two about your future. Next year we can read through this and see how far we've come.

Anyways,
It was actually quite enlightening to think about this. While it certainly feels like life is normal and not that different, when I look back to January I can see that there are many things that have improved significantly. This year started with me being jobless, hopping around with a destroyed ankle trying my best to take care of my mother who was very seriously ill. Financially I was ok due to my extra large backup fund, actually it's more of a downpayment for a house fund but it's made to be used in situations like these. But yeah, that fund took a hit of several thousand euros... but that's what it's for.

Fast forward to this day. Most importantly my mom is doing much much better. Nothing is certain but for the moment it looks like the treatments are working as intented and she is even back to working part-time now. My ankle is back to normal, even the beer belly that I got from lying at home for a few months is gone. Big Grin few months ago I started a new job, the best job I've ever had. I finally found a country that I really want to live in (the Netherlands) and I've started looking into permanently moving there. And I even managed to visit two new countries this year, while flying to another new one on the 31st of December.

Financially speaking, I've already managed to do even more than just get back on my feet. The house fund is larger than it was before all of this, my investing accounts are up roughly 10k euros since the beginning of the year, my dividend income missed my goal by only 12 euros. (I can live with that)

So overall I think I've done exceptionally well this year, I'm significantly happier with my life than I was a year ago. But there is always room to improve, right? So quickly a few things I want to accomplish in 2017.
Maybe most importantly, I want to get the moving process started. I'm planning on buying a place instead of renting so it's certainly a lot of work to get everything sorted out. I don't expect to have finished it during 2017 but I certainly want to see some progress. As long as everything goes according to plan, I should be investing roughly 1500 euros of new money every month, plus reinvesting all of the dividends, so I'm certainly expecting to absolutely smash my dividend income goal. And as always I have a well defined goal of seeing a new country every year, this time I'll get that done in the first week of January. Smile

This turned out to be much longer than I anticipated, hopefully I didn't bore you guys to death.
Once again, thanks to everyone for the past year and don't be afraid to throw in a review of how things have been for you.

Messages In This Thread
2016 - year in review, thoughts about the future - by crimsonghost747 - 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM