Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hate the Rich/Successful Folks
(04-07-2016, 09:24 PM)mikesdca Wrote: Anyway, after reading about 10 or so I came across one that just struck me as being wrong.  I tried to find the website again today but could not. 

The guy was 27 years old and he had a $100K portfolio, but he was showing his monthly income from it at it was only a little over $200.  That got me curious so I looked at the About page (nothing really), just a 27 year old guy. 

Then I found his income and expense page.  He listed his income which was mostly salary of a little over $4,000 (usual--hated his job) and then he listed his expenses.  Normal stuff, car payment, student loan, phone, food, dining out, etc.  No listing of rent or mortgage? On some page he mentions Bernie as if a supporter.  I looked at some other pages but nothing else about him--which just led me to believe he was a 27 year old, living with his parents and not really taking on any responsibility. Just a no account. not contributing anything, not even liking what he is doing for a living.  

I pulled my SS statement just last month and counted the years I had income from work.  36, out of 51.  That's right.  I was 15 and a half when I started working my first job and I still remember it. I had to get permission from my parents as I recall.  Different time. We were hungry to work back then.  We wanted the experience and any income we could get.  Parents did not expect you to be living with them 10 years out of high school.

I don't think it is hypocritical to call someone out who seems to be living the opposite way that our culture was when the country was strong.  That is self-reliance, patriotism, strong work ethic, sacrifice, etc.  What I think the problem is being 27, this kid has never known or lived in a country that still has those values.  Sad.  Makes me sad.

Well this guy is working and preparing for his future. He might not enjoy his job but you can hardly hold that against a person... he is working because of the income, not because he loves it. If that is a crime then I'd say at least half of the people in the world are guilty. I too have had jobs that I didn't particularly enjoy but I did them anyway since I needed the income. And I'm fairly certain that you too have had times during those 51 years where you weren't exactly thrilled to go to work in the morning.

The way I see it, the only thing that makes you hate this guy is the fact that he doesn't pay rent or mortgage. If he lives with his parents (which might not even be the case) I do think it's a bit odd that with such income he doesn't chip in, then again we know almost nothing about the situation. Maybe he lives with his wife/girlfriend and she takes care of the rent and he pays the rest of the stuff like groceries? Maybe his parents are old and through smart tax planning figured that it's better to pay his rent over several years rather than leave the money as inheritance which will of course be taxed? Maybe his employer is paying for his rent?

I just don't see what you have against people like him, who will probably become financially independent by 40. They have worked for it, they have planned it and quite frankly I'm very happy for them if they can truly do what they want for 40-50 years instead of being in the rat race until they turn 65.

Messages In This Thread
Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by mikesdca - 04-06-2016, 11:08 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by mikesdca - 04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by crimsonghost747 - 04-08-2016, 02:07 AM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by Kerim - 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by mikesdca - 04-07-2016, 09:59 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by Kerim - 04-07-2016, 10:02 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by mikesdca - 04-07-2016, 10:07 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by navyasw02 - 04-07-2016, 10:17 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by mikesdca - 04-07-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by Kerim - 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM
RE: Hate the Rich/Successful Folks - by rayray - 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM