Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breadth in diversification
Ron, I like your thinking and if I had that much to spread around I'd probably do something similar.

Obviously, you're looking at total return whereas I'm more focused on the income stream so I think you'd be better off narrowing down your choices to just 2 or 3 in each sector versus 4 or more competitors. I have around 33 positions and probably 12 more non-duplicates in the wife's portfolio. (Just a top of the head guess there.) I'll probably trim mine back a little to add to her diversification is where my head's at right now. Of course, as I told you a long time ago, I look at both portfolios in isolation rather than as an integrated entity.

IMO, once you get much above the 40-50 range, you're going to end up being your own index fund just tracking the market. I have no studies to back that up though. Either way you'll still end up with a good portfolio.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Messages In This Thread
Breadth in diversification - by ronn38 - 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: Breadth in diversification - by Dividend Watcher - 03-11-2016, 06:47 PM
RE: Breadth in diversification - by cannew - 03-13-2016, 11:15 AM