Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calculating my portfolio's yield
(07-12-2013, 11:56 AM)Horace Cugle Wrote: Total annual dividends/the current portfolio value = portfolio current yield. It's basically the as how you would calculate a single stock's yield just cumulative for all stocks.

For yield on cost take the total annual dividends/total cost of the positions, do not include reinvested dividends, only the original cost plus any new buys. And of course update any dividend increases.

Hope that helps.

Is Current portfolio value market value? Might be an interesting % but meaningless to me.

For yield on cost I consider re-invested dividends as new buys and therefore include the total as my cost (initial invest, re-invested div and additional buys). Then the current dividend divided by the average cost of my total invest gives me my yield on cost.

(06-17-2013, 06:03 PM)aagha Wrote: What's the best way for me to go about calculating my porfolio's yield?

I have various holdings which I've bought over the past couple of years, each (obviously) with their own, individual yields. I'm curious to know what, assuming the current/last dividend, my portfolio yielded the last quarter.

Each to their own method based on what they consider important. I set up an excel file with different worksheets to track different information. Much of the information is linked to other worksheets. Some of the worksheet are:

1. Monthly Div Paid - a list of the stocks I own which records the quarterly div paid for each stock. I also highlight when the div is increased.

2. Monthly div Rec'd - this list the stocks owned, grouped by category (My RRIF, My TFSA, Wife RRIF, Wife TFSA, Jnt Stocks), where I record the actual div amount received. It is totaled by month then for the year. Previous years are maintained.

3. Qtr Div Sum - Stocks are listed by the Qtr div is paid. List the total investment in each stock, the Qtr Div and the annual div. Shows me how much I can expect each Qtr and year from div. Changes as the value invested increases. (I show current price to get market value)

4. Ind Stock Investment -For each group (me, wife, jnt) I record the individual stock history (Initial buy, additional buys and div re-invest), by date of transaction.

5. Stock summary - this is a summary of all stocks record by each group and totalled. Market value is also shown here.

Was a bit of work getting it set up but maintaining it only takes a few minutes. We own 22 stocks but there are duplicates so the total number of stocks to record is over 50. All reports show my Total Investment, Total Div and Yield on Cost by stock and in Total.

** people invest in bonds for the Income (thinking their capital is protected). actually the capital looses value because of inflation.

I invest in DG stocks for the Income it generates and the growing Income. As the dividend grows so does my capital and usually at the same rate as the div growth.

Messages In This Thread
Calculating my portfolio's yield - by aagha - 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by cannew - 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by samuelN - 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by JDurham - 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
RE: Calculating my portfolio's yield - by Kerim - 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM