Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Portfolio (New Member)
(10-25-2015, 09:12 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Paul, you've got a good start there.

(10-25-2015, 12:05 PM)jhpaul Wrote: I'm in a very awkward stage of my life where I need to look to invest in real estate (ie. move out of my parents home) but the housing market's just crazy where I live (Greater Toronto Area)... So I thought I'd stick to dividend stocks for now.

Ummmm, at 26 it may be time to move on Blush but I wouldn't be in a rush to buy a "money pit" just yet. Especially in your market right now. An apartment in the suburbs maybe? Oshawa? Oakville? Get your emergency funds locked up, add a little to your portfolio as you go, drop in to the Zanzi on Yonge every once in a while (did I say that? Angel ) and enjoy life.

I just commented on BLTN's portfolio thread over here for a U.S.-centric view. We have quite a few Canadians here that may have some good suggestions for you too.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Thanks for your comments. I know, I need to move out soon. But I'm saving so much money living with my parents Big Grin

I looked over your reply to BLTN's thread. Good recommendations there. Thanks. I will need to do some more research before picking my next purchase!

(10-26-2015, 09:32 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 12:05 PM)jhpaul Wrote: I invested in these two when I was young

You're still young! You're off to an incredible start given your age. I am not very familiar with a number of your holdings, so it is difficult for me to evaluate, but the time factor makes your selections process more forgiving.

(10-25-2015, 12:05 PM)jhpaul Wrote: I'm in a very awkward stage of my life where I need to look to invest in real estate (ie. move out of my parents home)

I understand that life is a whole lot more than finances, but from a financial standpoint, if you can stand it, maybe staying under their roof a bit longer would be worth it (if you can stand it)? That is assuming that the arrangement allows you to save a lot of your income that would otherwise be going toward housing. If you do move out and are considering buying, maybe look for a duplex or a multi-room place where you can rent out the other rooms and have tenants subsidize your living. That would be a great way to move out but not take a large financial hit, while diversifying your income streams.

Hi. I would say almost 40% of my investments are in the CIBC Monthly Income Fund (added the # of units I own to my original post). That's because this was my only investment before I started purchasing other mutual funds and dividend stocks.

That's my plan - stay under their roof for another 2-3 years and then move out..... there's plenty of new developments in my area so I need to start looking into them soon!

Thanks for your comments Smile

Messages In This Thread
My Portfolio (New Member) - by jhpaul - 10-25-2015, 12:05 PM
RE: My Portfolio (New Member) - by jhpaul - 10-26-2015, 03:42 PM
RE: My Portfolio (New Member) - by Kerim - 10-26-2015, 09:32 AM
RE: My Portfolio (New Member) - by rayray - 10-29-2015, 12:30 AM
RE: My Portfolio (New Member) - by jhpaul - 08-28-2016, 07:45 AM