Poll: What do you do with your dividends?
Automatically reinvest
Manually reinvest
Some of each
Neither -- I'm living off the income!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic vs Manual Dividend Reinvestment
D.M., yours is the healthy attitude to have IMO. DRIP is great for anyone who is trying to minimize time involved with managing the portfolio. But if a person would not buy more of the security today with fresh cash, then it makes no sense to buy via DRIP today. For me, cumulative dividends are best directed toward the best opportunity that arises, and Buffet would probably add, [to let the price come to the buyer] rather than buying just because the cash is available.

There are all kinds of strategies and styles, but for the life of me, I can't see buying a stock on a given day just because cash hits the pot, buying without regard to entry price.

As pointed out earlier, just watching the price action relative to the bollinger bands would save 5% more often than not.

Since August look at how many days QCOM could be bought at under $68.
[Image: z?s=QCOM&t=6m&q=l&l=on&z=l&a=v&p=b&lang=en-US&region=US]

And the same with Aflac, three or four nice opportunities to buy shares in the lower half of the trading range.
[Image: z?s=AFL&t=6m&q=l&l=on&z=l&a=v&p=b&lang=en-US&region=US]
Alex

Messages In This Thread
RE: Automatic vs Manual Dividend Reinvestment - by Cardiac - 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Automatic vs Manual Dividend Reinvestment - by Cardiac - 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
RE: Automatic vs Manual Dividend Reinvestment - by hendi_alex - 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM