Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to everything, need advise on strategy
Like others said before me I would also like to say that I think you should avoid the stock market for short period like that.

On a more personal note I prefer dividend growth and low yield over high dividend yield.

I found it that companies that pay more than 5% dividends per year has a lot harder time to keep up the dividends during recessions.

If we'll look at David fish ccc list from January 2008 and December 2008 than we find the following:
8 out of 23 companies that paid at least 5% dividends reduced or stopped their dividend payments during 2008.
2 out of 115 companies that paid less than 5% dividends reduced or stopped their dividend payments during 2008.

So basically if we take 2008 as an example than paying at least 5% dividend resulted in 34% chance to reduce dividends while paying less than 5% had 1.7% chance to reduce dividends.

It is important to note that the price of a dividend company that reduces dividends is getting punished considerably so you can add a huge capital loss on top of the dividend cut.

This adds up to investors that were focused on higher dividends took a 34% risk for a major loss while lower dividend yield investor had only 1.7% risk of a minor loss.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New to everything, need advise on strategy - by ChadR - 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: New to everything, need advise on strategy - by daat99 - 04-26-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: New to everything, need advise on strategy - by 800peace - 05-31-2015, 02:47 PM