Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utilities sector
Fenders, what's your view on NRG? Trading pretty cheap here.
I stick to my faves in this sector. I don't follow it NRG close enough to give advice.
I agree stick to the good name utilities. Don’t even fool around with NRG.
(03-18-2021, 06:42 AM)divmenow Wrote: I agree stick to the good name utilities. Don’t even fool around with NRG.
There are 6-8 consistently great UTEs in the US.  Lean current dividend or growth, your choice.  I'll save my stress trades for other sectors that aren't so stable.
Somewhere on this thread not long ago I said ALE was the only one of my longtime UTE holdings I was not adding to now as I just liked trading around a small LT position. On APR 1 Zacks downgraded them to strong sell as 2021 earning are going to be a month or two later recovering on the regulated side of their BIZ. I already suspected that so I grabbed a few shares. Two days later CFRA upgrades ALE to strong buy because their green game (unregulated side) is growing rapidly under the radar. Hopefully the spike of that upgrade will pullback for one more chance to add shares. I didn't miss out, but I was too conservative on ALE. I should have added more. Maybe a bad week on the US 10YR treasury gives me another chance or two?

In this slowly rising interest rate environment interest I continue to believe that growing UTEs will far outperform tradition UTEs that are only bought for their dividend. The earnings growers are the true safe ones to own. I'm on record and we shall see. I still love my WEC and XEL but they have run too far to add any more now.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3682441-ma...ing-freeze

Starting to wish none of my UTEs did business in TX. This isn't going to end soon enough. They have at least three major power sources in the state, and nothing but drama because they can't get it right.
(04-15-2021, 06:39 PM)fenders53 Wrote: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3682441-ma...ing-freeze

Starting to wish none of my UTEs did business in TX. This isn't going to end soon enough. They have at least three major power sources in the state, and nothing but drama because they can't get it right.

You'd think policy makers would learn after seeing problems with too many renewables in Germany and then in California. But they just keep on forcing them onto the grid, making things unstable for the overall system. I figured it would take longer than this to have an impact on Texas, but here we are.

This summer could be quite interesting times for people living there...
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(04-16-2021, 08:14 AM)EricL Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 06:39 PM)fenders53 Wrote: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3682441-ma...ing-freeze

Starting to wish none of my UTEs did business in TX.  This isn't going to end soon enough.  They have at least three major power sources in the state, and nothing but drama because they can't get it right.

You'd think policy makers would learn after seeing problems with too many renewables in Germany and then in California. But they just keep on forcing them onto the grid, making things unstable for the overall system. I figured it would take longer than this to have an impact on Texas, but here we are.

They struggled with nat gas delivery and coal piles are an issue buried in ice as well. Nothing worked.  Except  none of this shuts down our northern grid.  TX decided it's not worth preparing for.  They will make the news again soon enough.

Starting to wish none of my UTEs did business in TX.  This isn't going to end soon enough.  They have at least three major power sources in the state, and nothing but drama because they can't get it right.

It wasn't renewables that were the cause of this.  I am here in Texas and the renewables actually out performed what they were expected to do.  Main problems were natural gas pipelines were freezing up and causing the majority of the problems.  Most of Texas isn't on the federal grid, so the upgrades to protect against freezing weather wasn't done.
(04-16-2021, 07:12 PM)ChadR Wrote:

It wasn't renewables that were the cause of this.  I am here in Texas and the renewables actually out performed what they were expected to do.  Main problems were natural gas pipelines were freezing up and causing the majority of the problems.  Most of Texas isn't on the federal grid, so the upgrades to protect against freezing weather wasn't done.

I hope most Texans understand the situation like you do, and don't blame wind turbines or the 'green new deal' for it.
(04-16-2021, 07:19 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I hope most Texans understand the situation like you do, and don't blame wind turbines or the 'green new deal' for it.

Sadly most Texans don't understand the situation and want to blame the wind turbines and get us away from renewables.  It's an uphill fight here in Texas to get more  renewables, but we are slowly getting there.

(04-16-2021, 07:19 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

It's going to be interesting.  I am not a fan of over-regulation but utility grids need to be regulated for a good reason or 49 states would not be on board with that idea.  The "green new deal" taken to an extreme is another train wreck in progress.  The CEOs of the UTEs I recommended you invest in have demonstrated you can do it gradually without putting lives in danger in the extreme cold Northland.  No fossil fuels on the grid by 2035 is an idiotic idea and the Pres is saying that.  AOC and Cruz are not the authority on this matter.  They have agendas and way short on expertise.  They need to listen to the top 6 UTEs with significant green transition experience.  They know people will die if it's not done correctly.  I hope they speak up if it gets irrational.