Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-18-2020, 02:41 PM)vbin Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:38 PM)kblake Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:32 PM)vbin Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:30 PM)kblake Wrote: I'm so bummed. I put in to buy 100 O at $42 and it executed 1000 shares. Just my luck. Well no more cash to spend now. Yikes what a mistake lol
U can still exit that. U will make that up somewhere else or take a chance and wait for tomoorow. There will be bounce back for sure

I was playing with my 6 year old son and on my etrade app. Thought I put in 100 and it executed at 1000   Big Grin

I'm down big as I bought lots more yesterday at $51. But hey at least my monthly dividend will go up lol
I have made the mistake to go too heavy on XOM even when @fenders53 warned me , lol. Thinking oil is too cheap anything can happen. In a hindsight I should have followed the rules of diversification and played by the book.
We all make plenty of mistakes.  I got scorched enough on oil too.  I kept most of it far too long  Selling at a loss is not a good habit to get into, but it's been clear for a few weeks this isn't getting better soon.  I would have been OK until the dividend was in danger.  Why the hell would I buy it otherwise because they haven't grown for 20 years.  I am going to try to keep all my commodity trading small.  There are just too many things beyond the scope of any research you can possibly do   Flushing $1000 trying to roll a 7 is one thing.  500+ shares is just too much for me to gamble.
(03-18-2020, 02:38 PM)kblake Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:32 PM)vbin Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 02:30 PM)kblake Wrote: I'm so bummed. I put in to buy 100 O at $42 and it executed 1000 shares. Just my luck. Well no more cash to spend now. Yikes what a mistake lol
U can still exit that. U will make that up somewhere else or take a chance and wait for tomoorow. There will be bounce back for sure

I was playing with my 6 year old son and on my etrade app. Thought I put in 100 and it executed at 1000   Big Grin

I'm down big as I bought lots more yesterday at $51. But hey at least my monthly dividend will go up lol
Yikes!  I think I'd be trimming that tomorrow if the market does it's scheduled dead count bounce.  Things get hairy at the open.  Surprised I've never made a big mistake.  I accidentally bought too many calls when I was closing out a covered call.  I was surprised to see that later.  The market let me out with a small profit  Proving once again a chimp could probably out trade me lol.    Big Grin

I bought MCD and O all day long.  Also EXC and a ton of small adds to half the stocks I own.  I am about out of business unless I end up investing my total meltdown fund.  I think I better allow some  time to pass before I even think about that  Maybe pick an index milestone, but we have blown past any real support level.  It's just picking a number out of the air at this point.  A few stocks are showing some signs of support levels, but not many.
(03-18-2020, 11:58 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:38 AM)vbin Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:13 AM)saimash Wrote: Dont know if this has already been discussed here, but any idea why UTX is getting hamered... I'm thinking of putting a limit order around $65.1
Also thinking of putting a limit order on JETS @ 10.1 and hoping it would bite (although ive taken a beating in Boeing :-( )

My limit orders 100 shares of DIS @ 651. and 100 shares of AXP @ 75.1 just executed this morning.

Your thoughts ???
Threat of a recession, and they sell jet parts come to mind.  Not good for UTX.  They are about to merge with RTN and pick up significant defense contract exposure.
What are your thoughts and other folks on spending cuts on defence? I am eyeing GD, RTN, NOC, LMT but thinking that defense spending will be cut. We are coming out of Afghanistan and if Biden or Berny comes they will cut def spend. Healthcare will get a boost but don't see anything which has taken major beating in healthcare.
Cuts not happening soon, but the defense budget may have peaked.  Current defense budget is outrageous by any measure.  The world is dangerous and it's not going to return to the 1990s policy.  I'm comfortable with my defense stocks.  The contrracts are many years long and that adds to my comfort.

So if i were to debate between purchasing UTX or RTN, RTN would be a better choice, correct ?
BTW, I did get my limit order of 100 shares of O @ 40.1
@kblake, Sorry about your mistake in getting 1000 shares of O.... As suggested, I think you should trim some positions tomorrow (when the market is up)... All the Best
(03-18-2020, 03:35 PM)saimash Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:13 AM)saimash Wrote: Dont know if this has already been discussed here, but any idea why UTX is getting hamered... I'm thinking of putting a limit order around $65.1
Also thinking of putting a limit order on JETS @ 10.1 and hoping it would bite (although ive taken a beating in Boeing :-( )

My limit orders 100 shares of DIS @ 651. and 100 shares of AXP @ 75.1 just executed this morning.

Your thoughts ???
Threat of a recession, and they sell jet parts come to mind.  Not good for UTX.  They are about to merge with RTN and pick up significant defense contract exposure.
What are your thoughts and other folks on spending cuts on defence? I am eyeing GD, RTN, NOC, LMT but thinking that defense spending will be cut. We are coming out of Afghanistan and if Biden or Berny comes they will cut def spend. Healthcare will get a boost but don't see anything which has taken major beating in healthcare.
Cuts not happening soon, but the defense budget may have peaked.  Current defense budget is outrageous by any measure.  The world is dangerous and it's not going to return to the 1990s policy.  I'm comfortable with my defense stocks.  The contrracts are many years long and that adds to my comfort.

So if i were to debate between purchasing UTX or RTN, RTN would be a better choice, correct ?
The difference would be pennies at this point because the deal is solid so no arbitrage.  If you buy UTX you will be receiving spin off shares for two more companies pre-merger. Otis elevators and Carrier. Probably not terrible companies to own anytime but now. Just buy RTN and we'll all be RTX shortly.

Your thoughts ???

I'd rather own RTN here. UTX has the exposure to commercial aerospace and OTIS/Carrier is more tied to the economy.

RTN has better credit ratings, better growth history, and probably a more stable business being defense.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(03-18-2020, 03:50 PM)EricL Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Threat of a recession, and they sell jet parts come to mind.  Not good for UTX.  They are about to merge with RTN and pick up significant defense contract exposure.

I'd rather own RTN here. UTX has the exposure to commercial aerospace and OTIS/Carrier is more tied to the economy.

RTN has better credit ratings, better growth history, and probably a more stable business being defense.
They merge in a couple weeks unless the date has changed.
(03-18-2020, 04:06 PM)fenders53 Wrote: They merge in a couple weeks unless the date has changed.

I wasn't aware. My bad!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(03-18-2020, 04:17 PM)EricL Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 04:06 PM)fenders53 Wrote: They merge in a couple weeks unless the date has changed.

I wasn't aware. My bad!

No problem at all.  You bring so much good info to this forum.  Please have a look at the new books when they report together this fall.  I'm sure the first one will be a train wreck.  Or a plane wreck anyway.  This is timely for UTX with RTN's better balance sheet.
Folks who have been buying restaurant brands, why no one is looking at QSR? I think buffet is invested and if things get worst cost effective fast food will do well.
(03-18-2020, 04:52 PM)vbin Wrote: Folks who have been buying restaurant brands, why no one is looking at QSR? I think buffet is invested and if things get worst cost effective fast food will do well.

We really need to summon Eric for a quick look at balance sheets for any restaurant we are considering.  (even if I sass him sometimes lol).  That is going to be critical to any restaurant's survival.  MCD, WEN etc can go drive thru only and pay the rent and utililities.  I am pretty deep in CBRL and will have a decent position in TXRH.  Large scale carryout may not be so viable for them.  I bet they get more efficient at it by next week though.

Everyone beware this is my idea of a speculative move.  My port is dominated by UTEs, insurance companies, defense and bluechip industrials.  I don't own tech or much anything shaky other than FUN.  This is a time for risk management.  Don't add more risk if you already have enough.  The index may drop another 25% for all I know.  It's my strong belief that if our top 10 national restaurant chains can't survive this, we have big trouble that will go far beyond cheeseburger joints.
What's up with O? I was about to pull the trigger, but luckily held off. I woke up to see it down big time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk