Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Added some to my APPL and AMZN, selling more puts hoping to pick up more DGI. A lot of stocks on my crash shopping list but we aren't anywhere near there yet, and hopefully we won't be.
Just bought a few shares each of UPS, ITW, and TXN for my son's education savings account.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Bought some VLO, CVX and ABBV for my sons account. Too many stock on my buy list, but cant buy them all lol
Added ABBV, OZK, NKE
Bought a little CCL, VLO and UPS. Spread out 5k between the 3 names.
Added NVDA, AAL, SYF, OZK, LMT, T, ABBV
Nasdaq is down 10% this month. Last time it was down 11% in November 2008
(10-24-2018, 03:01 PM)vbin Wrote: Nasdaq is down 10% this month. Last time it was down 11% in November 2008

Is it OK to cry some stock market tears among forum friends?  Smile  I've been pretty fortunate through most of this actually, but quite a few of my stocks have been hammered bad the past few days.   Today was particularly painful.  ATT and UPS earnings started my day of wrong.   I own a lot of ATT or a couple bucks down would matter.  I am really regretting my recent oil plays.  I am OK with owning CVX, XOM and MRO  but my timing could not have been worse.  I caught the top and then oil prices dropped immediately.  I'll be staring at those losses for a long time.  I won't sell anything, but I won't lie it's tempting to move the funds to something in another sector with more promise in the near term.  I was lucky enough to have cash to average down in a lot of positions.  We'll see if I did it too soon in the near future. I knew it was not a good time to jump into falling chip stocks. I got that small thing right. If AMZN or APPL miss earnings I am going to shut the computer off.

Everyone hang in there.  There will be more months like this but hopefully not this year.  Smile
(10-24-2018, 04:56 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-24-2018, 03:01 PM)vbin Wrote: Nasdaq is down 10% this month. Last time it was down 11% in November 2008

Is it OK to cry some stock market tears among forum friends?  Smile  I've been pretty fortunate through most of this actually, but quite a few of my stocks have been hammered bad the past few days.   Today was particularly painful.  ATT and UPS earnings started my day of wrong.   I own a lot of ATT or a couple bucks down would matter.  I am really regretting my recent oil plays.  I am OK with owning CVX, XOM and MRO  but my timing could not have been worse.  I caught the top and then oil prices dropped immediately.  I'll be staring at those losses for a long time.  I won't sell anything, but I won't lie it's tempting to move the funds to something in another sector with more promise in the near term.  I was lucky enough to have cash to average down in a lot of positions.  We'll see if I did it too soon in the near future.  I knew it was not a good time to jump into falling chip stocks.  I got that small thing right.  If AMZN or APPL miss earnings I am going to shut the computer off.

Everyone hang in there.  There will be more months like this but hopefully not this year.  Smile

I could not be happier actually! These are great buying opportunitiesSmile
Im only sad I don't have more cash to throw in to the fire. A 10 percent drop in prices gives an instant yield boost
(10-24-2018, 04:56 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Is it OK to cry some stock market tears among forum friends?  Smile  I've been pretty fortunate through most of this actually, but quite a few of my stocks have been hammered bad the past few days.   Today was particularly painful.  ATT and UPS earnings started my day of wrong.   I own a lot of ATT or a couple bucks down would matter.  I am really regretting my recent oil plays.  I am OK with owning CVX, XOM and MRO  but my timing could not have been worse.  I caught the top and then oil prices dropped immediately.  I'll be staring at those losses for a long time.  I won't sell anything, but I won't lie it's tempting to move the funds to something in another sector with more promise in the near term.  I was lucky enough to have cash to average down in a lot of positions.  We'll see if I did it too soon in the near future. I knew it was not a good time to jump into falling chip stocks. I got that small thing right. If AMZN or APPL miss earnings I am going to shut the computer off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I have a feeling this might not be over yet, then again I'm terrible at predicting these things.
Only things I'm considering selling are two stocks that I hold for covered call positions. One of those I let go last week, let's see what happens with the other. The remaining one is WFC so I might actually just hold onto it and enjoy the dividend.

The money released from the first sale will be used to buy something next week. Smile Let's see what I end up finding.
I was hurt FAR worse in past recessions.  I had a ton of cash to invest this time, but it was blind luck due to transferring accounts and having trouble finding good value two months ago.  Having a little patience is the only thing I can give myself any credit for.  And I agree this is likely far from over for a lot of stocks if some issues don't get sorted out soon.