Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks
Your 401k plan is awesome! I've never seen one that allows IRA-like stock buying. I have my entire 401k in an S&P 500 index fund, because everything else frankly sucks.

Feel free to share specifics of the DGI stocks you are wondering about keeping or selling.
(05-14-2021, 12:30 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Your 401k plan is awesome!  I've never seen one that allows IRA-like stock buying.  I have my entire 401k in an S&P 500 index fund, because everything else frankly sucks.

Feel free to share specifics of the DGI stocks you are wondering about keeping or selling.
My GOV 401K options were SPY, Russell 2K, Foreign index, long bonds or short US Treasuries if you just wanted to collect your match and chill.  In retrospect, truth be told they saved 98% of participants from themselves.  Later in my career you could pick your retirement date and they would try to make sure you didn't have to eat Ramen noodles in retirement because you didn't have any idea how to manage it, or were too impulsive.
There's definitely truth to that!

I haven't gone with the retirement date funds because I think the S&P 500 index is better; at least now.
Yeah, Delta allows you to move up to 95% of all 401K contributions to a Brokerage 401K account with Fidelity. I think there is a federal regulation that stipulates the same investment options have to be given to all employees, and the pilot union at Delta pressed hard years ago to have the brokerage account available, so it was also given to the entire employee base.

Most people who put money into the brokerage account have financial advisors to guide them but there were some colleagues who were playing in 3x leverage stocks on their own and lost their shorts, and their retirement. I personally haven’t taken much risk with my 401K account as it represents the bulk of my retirement funds.
(05-14-2021, 02:29 PM)MrPosadas Wrote: Yeah, Delta allows you to move up to 95% of all 401K contributions to a Brokerage 401K account with Fidelity. I think there is a federal regulation that stipulates the same investment options have to be given to all employees, and the pilot union at Delta pressed hard years ago to have the brokerage account available, so it was also given to the entire employee base.

Most people who put money into the brokerage account have financial advisors to guide them but there were some colleagues who were playing in 3x leverage stocks on their own and lost their shorts, and their retirement. I personally haven’t taken much risk with my 401K account as it represents the bulk of my retirement funds.

I can't believe anyone in this day and age would mess around with 3x leveraged funds.  Crazy.

(Whistles innocently)

Big Grin