Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much in company stock
(03-04-2021, 11:30 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:52 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 08:56 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: So ... had the chance to sell in the $140s around the time I started this thread.  Now ... $116/share.  Ouch.
Not good because your intended targets haven't been hit nearly that hard.  Most of them anyway.

Yeah.  I'm not touching it for a while now.  The only move I have to make in 2021 is to exercise a tiny amount of options before they expire.
Good call.  You should have another chance to trim higher later in the year.  The market isn't done with tech if your company's PE isn't insane.
It's "N/A" Sad
(03-07-2021, 10:28 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: It's "N/A" Sad
PEs are just annoying in this market anyway.  Smile  Just do what you believe is best in the longterm.  Gradually is what I try to do because we are not likely to time anything perfectly.
(03-04-2021, 08:56 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: So ... had the chance to sell in the $140s around the time I started this thread.  Now ... $116/share.  Ouch.
Not good because your intended targets haven't been hit nearly that hard.  Most of them anyway.

Now $113 ... maybe I won't check again until November lol.

The funny/sad side effect is that it is no longer 90% of my portfolio.  After this refinance cash-out, it is getting closer to 50/50.
Automatic rebalancing! Big Grin

I'm sure you now understand the need to diversify a lot better than you did before. You had the right idea, you were just a bit late in making it happen. All of us pay some "education money" once in a while, it's part of the process.
Very true. Hopefully it will rebound like it always does and I will simply cash out later, if not this year then next. Between the stock portion of my bonus and the employee stock purchase plan which I dump 10% of my salary into to buy at 85% of the price, I have so much going into it that it exacerbates the problem.
I am somewhat familiar with the program your company participates in as most fortune 500s offer it. It's smart to continue contributing due to the match. On the dates you are allowed, I would be inclined to transfer the equivalent of your annual contribution and match. When your company stock isn't getting killed at withdrawal time, trim it back an additional 25% (or whatever), and walk your port back to diversified in a year or two. Whatever we do in a hurry is usually wrong and the reason I suggest a "method".
I like the idea of figuring out an end date for when I want to be diversified, then walking back from there to determine how much I should sell annually.
(03-19-2021, 12:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I like the idea of figuring out an end date for when I want to be diversified, then walking back from there to determine how much I should sell annually.
I always like to have a plan, as it reduces the likelihood of impulsiveness.  Impulsiveness is often expensive.  Maybe the plan is to draw an extra 25% off, and when the time comes 20% or 40% makes more sense and you make the decision.  This yields a better result than waking up some morning when the market is on tear up or down and making a bad call.  Whenever we create cash, the cash needs a place to go that makes a little sense.
(03-06-2021, 12:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Yeah.  I'm not touching it for a while now.  The only move I have to make in 2021 is to exercise a tiny amount of options before they expire.
Good call.  You should have another chance to trim higher later in the year.  The market isn't done with tech if your company's PE isn't insane.

I'm starting to think this was the wrong call.  It's painful to watch my company stock wallow in the 110s, while my E*trade portfolio is just cruising.  If I'd just sold it at $115ish, I might have made up the difference of selling it at $140 by now anyway.  Eh, live and learn.  The trading window is closed, so I will have to wait until it opens up again in a couple months.
(04-05-2021, 01:49 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 12:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

I'm starting to think this was the wrong call.  It's painful to watch my company stock wallow in the 110s, while my E*trade portfolio is just cruising.  If I'd just sold it at $115ish, I might have made up the difference of selling it at $140 by now anyway.  Eh, live and learn.  The trading window is closed, so I will have to wait until it opens up again in a couple months.
High PEs are still mostly out of favor so some time might be your friend. In time the market will give up the on the narrative that value stocks that have doubled off 2020 with not that much growth are somehow a safe place to be.  They aren't, even if they might run a little more while they are in style.  The alternatives to growth are scarce when almost everything gets extended.  I would still keep lightening up on the company stock when you get your next chance.  The music will stop eventually and more diversification will be your friend at some point.