Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top Ten Holdings--2019
(01-01-2020, 09:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I don't even want to update this thread right now. I think NilesMike will "get this". I started the year with a nice DGI top 10. Sold well over 300 puts and calls in 2019. The income was awesome but I got called out of some of my best stocks way before they topped. I could have done better if I'd known the S&P would run so hard. Many of my stocks made a 30-50% run and I never dreamed that would happen with recession fears supposedly looming. I'll get the DGI back to right as soon when the bull run takes a rest eventually. For now my top 10 is mostly utilities, pharma, AMZN, a few defense stocks and a ton of cash. I guess it could be worse. I lost my core positions for now... AAPL, HD,BMY,MO,CVS and a couple more. It might take all of 2020 to get it back to right but my gut says be patient after this run. I share my strategy's victories and feel like I should share the downside as well or I'm not being an asset to the forum.

Got it.

I don't sell calls for that very reason. Yes 2019 was an outlier year but that is why I hold the DGI stocks that I do, hoping t catch the outlier years.

In DGI context, I only sell puts to enter.
In a trading context, the field is wide open.

This year, starting today actually,I am adding Accelerated Dual Momentum index investing to the mix. Past performance looks very good, we'll see how it goes.

Good fortune to all in 2020!
My top 10:

V 8.9%
JNJ 7.6%
DIS 7.4%
KO 4.8%
T 4.1%
PSX 4.0%
CVX 4.0%
RDS-B 3.6%
PEP 3.3%
BP 3.3%
(01-02-2020, 06:37 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I don't even want to update this thread right now.   I think NilesMike will "get this".  I started the year with a nice DGI top 10.  Sold well over 300 puts and calls in 2019.  The income was awesome but I got called out of some of my best stocks way before they topped.  I could have done better if I'd known the S&P would run so hard.  Many of my stocks made a 30-50% run and I never dreamed that would happen with recession fears supposedly looming.  I'll get the DGI back to right as soon when the bull run takes a rest eventually.  For now my top 10 is mostly utilities, pharma, AMZN, a few defense stocks and a ton of cash.  I guess it could be worse.  I lost my core positions for now... AAPL, HD,BMY,MO,CVS and a couple more.  It might take all of 2020 to get it back to right but my gut says be patient after this run.  I share my strategy's victories and feel like I should share the downside as well or I'm not being an asset to the forum.

Got it.

I don't sell calls for that very reason. Yes 2019 was an outlier year but that is why I hold the DGI stocks that I do, hoping t catch the outlier years.

In DGI context, I only sell puts to enter.
In a trading context, the field is wide open.

This year, starting today actually,I am adding Accelerated Dual Momentum index investing to the mix. Past performance looks very good, we'll see how it goes.

Good fortune to all in 2020!

Thanks Mike, in DGI context I need to further compartmentalize that portion of the port.  Selling covered calls is probably a defensible idea on most anything now.  It clearly wasn't when I did it for some of my core holdings.  

Not as bad as I thought but I am missing TECH and Industrials from my Top 10 for now.

In no particular order.  Most are less than 2-3% of total port value, while I wait for the mythical correction Smile  

AEP
NEE
LMT
JNJ
PFE
WELL
MDT
AMZN
PEP
MET

Before the year is done the following might make an appearance  HON,MMM,UTX,D.  AAPL, HD, MO and MMY are mostly gone and will remain smaller positions unless they pullback considerably.

Editted again, I forgot about MET so BP knocked out of the Top 10.
So right now my top 10 holdings are

1. MA (8.43%)
2. ABBV (7.92%)
3. LMT (6.23%)
4. BMY (5.27%)
5. NEE (4.68%)
6. MO (3.78%)
7. AAPL (3.37%)
8. MSFT (2.84%)
9. JNJ (2.46%)
10. AMGN (2.1%)

Most of my top 10 holdings I own will not be adding to unless they drop another 20% from where there at currently. With the exception of MO and BMY which I will continue to add too.

Some of the new names I bought today like IRM and STOR may get close get into my top 10 if they fall further and I add more.

Oil stocks have been making a big move of late and I may add some names in that sector as well. I'm not betting heavy on this sector but well we all know the reason why lol
Top 10 holdings of 2020

1. MSFT 9.1%
2. AAPL 7.2%
3. NSC 6.3%
4. PAYX 5.6%
5. MCD 5%
6. PG 5%
7. PM 4.6%
8. O 3.4%
9. PEP 2.9%
10. INTC 2.7%

Won't be adding to any of these so the percentages should come down some this year.
JNJ 5.8%
LMT 4.2%
MCD 2.9%
O 2.8%
KMB 2.8%
ORI 2.4%
TGT 2.3%
About 10 others around 2.2%

Interesting thing is ORI, LMT and O (Actually sold 100 shares of O recently),
they were all relatively small investments but growth and dividend reinvestment have them near the top.
VZ 5.96%
XOM 5.88%
ABBV 5.56%
MO 4.43%
ED 3.27%
WELL 3.26%
D 3.07%
PM 2.88%
STX 2.15%
PFE 2.04%
(01-01-2020, 08:10 AM)rayray Wrote: Good morning fellow DGI'ers welcome to the roaring 20's!!

my top 10 is now  

1)  AAPL   7.68%
2)  GILD    5.44
3)  MKL     4.51
4)  MO      3.43
5)  V         2.74
6)  QCOM   2.66
7)  BMY     2.67
8)  ABBV    2.46
9)  NVDA    2.45
10) KR        2.44

Beginning of 2019 below

1)   GILD   (6.19)
2)   MKL    (5.38)
3)   AAPL   (4.84)
4)   MO     (3.71)
5)   CELG  (3.69)
6)   ABBV  (3.10)
7)   KR      (3.06)
8)   XOM   (2.94)
9)   BRK.B (2.81)
10)  V       (2.58)

Well, I guess I accidentally started the 2020 Top 10 in the 2019 Top 10 so I suppose this is how it rolls lol....anyways a lot going on this year and I'm ready for a vaccine so our new normal can be more smooth. Let's hope for much better days ahead in the months to come! We're at the mid-way point of 2020...MY GAWD that went fast!!

Here's my 2020 Top 10 as of this morning--market didn't open yet and we still have one day but it's not going to change much...

1)AAPL     (AAPL)
2)GILD      (GILD)
3)SHOP     (MKL)
4)NVDA     (MO)
5)MKL        (V)
6)BMY        (QCOM)
7)MO          (BMY)
8)V             (ABBV)
9)KR           (NVDA)
10)ABBV     (KR)

SHOP not only went on a tear it went all the way to #3 on the List, other then that all the same just went up or down a little in rank. the (name) is the January 2020 rank

Hope everyone is well!!
Okay I finished out with this for 2020 top ten next column was what it was at the midway point of 2020. As you guys that know me, I really don't sell anything--buy/hold/add/maybe sell once or twice a year 3x maybe. The first group is also my 2021 top ten now....Good luck everyone and happy investing for 2021!!

1)APPL                 APPL
2)SHOP                GILD
3)NVDA                SHOP
4)GILD                 NVDA
5)VZ                    MKL
6)QCOM               BMY
7)MKL                  MO
8)ABBV                 V
9)MO                   KR
10)BMY               ABBV

I have 68 stocks...this years sells were GM/EMR/CNI

sold GM because I'm getting out of auto's, will sell  Ford eventually...but will keep MGA

EMR i waited, and waited, slow growth all around--kicked it to the curb

CNI, for the only reason why cause I have UNP and NSC

I have 4 accounts including kplan

YTD returns are

32.39% brokerage

15.15% IRA

13.76% ROTH

18.5% KPLAN

wife's IRA is

1) AMZN
2) ETN
3) AOS
4) ENB

and returned YTD 47.38%
Nice returns Ray.
In no particular order...

BMY
MRK
PFE
WELL
LHX
LMT
MET
NEE
AEP
XEL

This will change the first few months of the year. I intend some new top tens by brute force new investment.

I'd like to forget this year. I didn't own anything crazy speculative, but I got steamrolled in FEB-MAR anyway. I couldn't have had a worse selection of pandemic stocks. Owned virtually nothing most would consider a stay at home stock. Owned most everything sure to get crushed (oil, restaurants, commercial air, amusement park, lumber, basic materials). I rode a lot of them most of the way back. A few I dumped because they aren't coming back for years. I did what I thought best to recover. I'm up but I didn't beat any index. Well maybe XLE lol. Here are some round numbers, because I'd love to relive the nightmare lol.

JAN-MAR Down about 30% overall port. That sounds normal except I was at least 30% cash. For the year I am up about 20% including dividends but mostly option income tricks. The DGI bucket is still down 5%+ YOY due to aforementioned reasons. Flipped some stocks off the market low. Made money off the bottom and holding them would have worked out a lot better, but it was a small % or port. At least I am up for the year. Smile

Here's hoping 2021 is better. I need a better top 10, more exposure to tech on a dip, and the option income will remain a core strategy as it is less risky than buy and hold when the bull takes a longer rest. That matters to me so close to full retirement.
(01-03-2019, 11:06 AM)EricL Wrote: Mine are AAPL, ABBV, ABT, DLR, LOW, LMT, MSFT, OHI, O, T

End of 2020 top ten with % weighting.

1. DLR 3.94%
2. AAPL 3.54%
3. LOW 3.37%
4. QCOM 3.05%
5. AVGO 2.82%
6. LMT 2.76%
7. MSFT 2.73%
8. TGT 2.70%
9. WSO 2.69%
10. ABT 2.59%
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
As of today top 10 by weight. Price appreciatation played a huge role this year!
EMN
MMM
PM
WPC
O
OMC
ABBV
TXN
TROW
LOW

By the ammount of yearly income they generate:
PM