Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Utility Gone : AVA
Quote:Hydro One Limited ("Hydro One") (TSX:H) and Avista Corporation ("Avista") (NYSE:AVA) today jointly announced a definitive merger agreement ("Agreement") under which Hydro One will acquire Avista for C$67 (US$53) per share in a C$6.7 billion (US$5.3 billion) all-cash transaction. Together, Hydro One and Avista will create a North American leader in regulated electricity and natural gas business with over C$32.2 billion (US$25.4 billion) in combined assets. The transaction brings together two industry-leading regulated utilities with over 230 years of collective operational experience as well as shared corporate cultures and values. The combined entity will safely and reliably serve more than two million retail and industrial customers and hold assets throughout North America including Ontario, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Alaska.  http://investor.avistacorp.com/phoenix.z...ID=2287479

After three years of them sending me a nice check every quarter, looks like another niche utility will be bought. Now I have to start researching utes again but prices are generally pretty high right here.

Any suggestions? Why?
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

While I did love seeing over a $1,000 gain from one of my stocks for the day (first time ever), I hate that I'm losing a very good utility. Most seem over valued, but like you, I need to start looking for a replacement.
The water utilities are always a relatively safe bet. However the current valuations are quite high so it's not really ideal to start building a large position right now. WTR is what I have but most of them are pretty similar, you should do ok with any of the big ones. (at least on the US side)