Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The transparent stockholder
Good afternoon from continental-europe,

and thanks for handpicking me to the forum.  I hope to add to it's value some day.

I believe, in Google I typed “comparison stockrover fastgraphs” and then I noted some names from Seeking Alpha, where I am reading for just 2 months. What I miss at SA is the possibility of discussion aside of comments. So my first thought about this forum was: finally!

"Forticus" is the name and domain created in 1999 for the homepage of "The Transparent Stockholder" where I wrote about my activities around stocks, not unlike the many personal portfolio blogs out there today. For a couple of years, I digged into value analysis along Buffett and Graham and wrote lengthy reports larg caps. The idea was to get FI at 50 - in theory. In practice, I threw my money after Worldcom, CMGI and Cisco. Around 2003 my homepage died with the dotcoms. 

Every now and then I consider to revive "Forticus", but then ... I do not have to contribute any new insights to the science. Also, my family is self-employed and one of the three basic pillars of German society is envy. The other two are jealousy and resentment. Even with friends it's an issue to talk money.
Perhaps this is the reason I favor the US and Canadian culture around stocks. 

In 2015, seven years before my planned retirement, I added dividends as a new parameter to stock selection. The idea was to shift income from family business to an alternative stream  over that seven years. From May to July 2015, I bought stocks and closed end funds to obtain an overall yield of about 4%. Yet I did not focus on DGI. Our family business itself is a yielder, not a grower. I still have to turn my one year old "stock business" into an expanding enterprise. Currently I work on an article for SA on the impact of different balancing methods on my portfolio.

Unfortunately, due to the work on that article, I currently have no shopping-list at hand for the Brexit-drive-in. 

That much for now. 
Best wishes
Martin
(06-27-2016, 10:03 AM)Forticus Wrote: I believe, in Google I typed “comparison stockrover fastgraphs” and then I noted some names from Seeking Alpha, where I am reading for just 2 months. What I miss at SA is the possibility of discussion aside of comments. So my first thought about this forum was: finally!

Yeah! A spirited discussion is always welcome by me so talk away. Hope you don't mind me asking for the European, or from your comments at least the German, viewpoint.

BTW, welcome to the forum Martin. Nice to hear from someone across the pond.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Welcome, Forticus. Glad you are here and I hope to read more from you. I'm sure you'll be adding value right away.
blatant promo ... http://seekingalpha.com/article/3986986-...-portfolio
(07-07-2016, 03:29 PM)Forticus Wrote: blatant promo ... http://seekingalpha.com/article/3986986-...-portfolio

I enjoyed reading the article.  I like to review weightings quarterly, but I tend to not make adjustments unless something is way out of line.  I review industry weightings, income weightings, etc, but I tend to ignore beta, which I assume is similar to your VQ.  As a reminder for everyone, beta is not a measurement of risk, although people tend to equate the two.
(07-08-2016, 11:26 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: I enjoyed reading the article. 

Thanks, that makes two out of 500 PVs by now. If the ratio reaches 1% I 'll do a table dance. Big Grin

Quote: I like to review weightings quarterly, but I tend to not make adjustments unless something is way out of line.  I review industry weightings, income weightings, etc, but I tend to ignore beta, which I assume is similar to your VQ.  As a reminder for everyone, beta is not a measurement of risk, although people tend to equate the two.

VQ is meant to describe the "price noise" of the stock with respect to itself. My graphical vision of VQ is something like bollinger bands. I dont think, VQ and beta are related much. I have noted stocks of beta > 1 but VQ below SPY and vice versa.
I am about to finsh editing of the portfolio's annual report for readers as seeking alpha. While I try to keep fact-style, I can't help myself to place a pun or two. Would someone be willing to review the 1900 words and check for awkward phrasings? The text includes a picture and tables that probably have to be send as PDF by email.
Thanks to annonymous@this.forum  for reading and commenting. My annual report was published yesterday.

The Forticus Lifestyle Fund 2016 Review - Revision Of Mindset
"...  reviews 2016, our second year of investing for dividend income. It was also the first year of a three-year plan to construct a value and income growth business. I will discuss ten sells and nine buys, expenses and income, along with a revision of our mindset."