Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Jumping?
I'm working on some behind-the-scenes changes to improve the speed of the site, which has historically been pretty slow. Most of them should be completely invisible to users, but one recommendation is to disable the "forum jump" option that appears at the bottom of the page.

I've never used it myself, and I'm going to turn it off for a bit and run some tests to see if it does indeed help with load speeds. If it does, I'll leave it off -- unless you all let me know that it is a feature that you like and use.

Anybody love "forum jump"?

Thanks!
I've honestly never seen that option anywhere in the forum (nor do I know what it's for), so I imagine I won't miss it much.
Btw, I just saw the logo on the top left hand side is missing.
(12-16-2015, 03:03 PM)Rasec Wrote: Btw, I just saw the logo on the top left hand side is missing.

Yep. That image file is apparently a big drag on speed, so I am testing it out as text-only. If it improves speed, I'll fix it up to look nice. If it doesn't improve speed, I'll just put the image back.

Thanks!
I don't see the forum jump, don't know what it is and don't have any problems with the speed.
Of course I am trying "in life" to slow up a bit so I don't mind the second that it takes to load.
As far as the logo goes, guess I don't pay attn to the little details.
I am happy with the site.
Jimbo
(12-16-2015, 01:35 PM)Kerim Wrote: I'm working on some behind-the-scenes changes to improve the speed of the site, which has historically been pretty slow. Most of them should be completely invisible to users, but one recommendation is to disable the "forum jump" option that appears at the bottom of the page.

I've never used it myself, and I'm going to turn it off for a bit and run some tests to see if it does indeed help with load speeds. If it does, I'll leave it off -- unless you all let me know that it is a feature that you like and use.

Anybody love "forum jump"?

Thanks!

I never even noticed the forum jump option, so I don't think I'll miss it.
I guess forum is slow because of hosting. I usually wait for first byte from 3-5 seconds. From google:

Quote:Reduce server response time
In our test, your server responded in 3.1 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time.

So users users wait ~3 seconds before images/css files/javascript files are just starting to download.

Can you try different host? You don't need to move domain there, just try your forum elsewhere for response time. May be some cache plugin could help, if MyBB is not caching already (not sure if caching is good idea for forums).